Ceramic Tile

Old 09-04-02, 08:08 AM
Sandy Sorensen
Visiting Guest
Ceramic Tile

My husband and I are putting in a ceramic tile floor in our kitchen over existing linoleum. I cleaned the floor with a detergent before we started and we used a ceramic tile adhesive purchased at Menards. The tile does not seem to be bonding well. After several days of not walking on it the tile still seems to move.
What do we do now?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-02, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Sandy,

I'm afraid you've done things wrong. You should not use mastic on a floor tile, expecially a large one. Mastic has to air dry, and that isn't going to happen now that you have it sealed off between the tiles and the linoleum.

The other thing that bothers me is installing ceramic tiles over linoleum. I don't do it and don't recommend it.

Old 09-04-02, 12:51 PM
Sandy Sorensen
Visiting Guest
Ceramic Tile

John, thanks for the information. So what would you suggest? I can't imagine having to redo this, it was a very large area 350 sq. feet. Some of the tiles seem very solid. Do you think if we grouted that it would firm up the rest of the tiles?

Old 09-06-02, 04:46 PM
kliot
Visiting Guest
I hate to say it but you should really start over, no matter what you do at this point you are not going to have a floor that will hold up. Pull up the tile and the linoleum and put down cement backerboard and use modified thinset to set the tile. If you can't get the linoleum up you can put the backerboard on top of the linoleum but I agree with John and I reccomend removing it. Be sure and use thinset between the floor and the backerboard as well as between the backerboard and tile.

Old 09-06-02, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
that's really the way to go, sandy. sorry.