Tiling Over Plywood

Old 09-06-02, 06:56 PM
CPETE66
Visiting Guest
Tiling Over Plywood

Hi,
I would like to tile my kitchen floor. My subfloor right now is 2 layers of 3/4 exterior rated plywood. I know that cement backerboard is the proper underlayment to use, but I can't put that down over subfloor and then tile over that because it will leave finished floor over threshold of doors to exterior. I really dont' want to tear a layer of subfloor off because I have island cabinets that were installed over top layer of sub-floor. I've been told that I should be okay as long as my subfloor is exterior rated.
Please let me know what you think?

Old 09-07-02, 06:57 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
Plywood will expand and contract with changes in temperature and humidity...so if you lay tile directly over it, there is a chance that you will get some cracking in the joints..or even the odd cracked tile over seams in the plywood. That is why cement board is recommended over wood, since it isolates the tile from the wood. But..tile has been put over wood for years..some people have problems...others have none at all...there's really know way of telling what will happen. There is a product called Ditra that is 1/8 inch thick, that is made for this problem. It costs a little more that concrete board..but is a lot easier to install..and is a superior product. You can read about it here:

www.schluter.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: