Thinset

Old 09-07-02, 12:44 PM
jd442
Visiting Guest
Thinset

What is the correct consistency of thinset mortar when installing tile in tub/shower area? I am using Custom Master Blend thinset mortar with acrylic mortar admix. Also when troweling the thinset what angle to you spread the thinset at (45 degrees)? When using the thinset what is the time alotted before you need to dump out your existing mortar and mix a fresh batch if you have not completed tiling everything. One last question I am tiling 6x8 tiles in the tub/shower area is a 1/4 x 1/4 trowel correct to use?

Old 09-07-02, 02:28 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Answers from a "non-pro" weekend hacker .....
#1 - Peanut butter consistency. That way, it will stick to the walls without falling.
#2 - 45 degrees is ok
#3 - The bag of thinset should give you set-up time. You'll know when it starts to stiffen. I'd estimate 30mns.
#4 - 1/4" square notch should be ok. Again, the bag will give you guidelines.

Old 09-07-02, 03:49 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
I'll go along with Rich here....but I hope you are using white thin set? Saves you a lot of trouble later during clean up(especially if you are grouting white) Versabond white works really well(yes, Home Depot) and it doesn't need admix. Also, as long as the thin set is still workable(soft), there's no reason to throw it away and mix a new batch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: