ceramic floor prep.

Old 09-08-02, 09:30 AM
fin man
Visiting Guest
ceramic floor prep.

I'm going to be installing ceramic tile in my basement, only 42 sq. ft. Instead of installing the tile directly onto the concrete I have to put them on a raised subfloor to match the height of an already raised carpeted subfloor. The subfloor will be leveled. Moisture is not a concern. I'll be using spruce 1 x 2 strapping under 3/4 spruce plywood. Over the plywood can I simply nail the steel mesh, apply thin set mortar, then lay the tiles down right away or should I nail the mesh, cover it with the appropriate mortar ( level), let it set overnight, then put the tiles down with the thin set?

Old 09-08-02, 10:15 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
You should forget that wire mesh idea all together, unless you are planning to put an inch or more of cement on top. That wire mesh thin set application is totaly useless..and it is not an approved substrate for ceramic tile. Hopefully you have your raised subfloor as secure as possible..you'll want to eleminate all movement. On top you could put concrete board, set in a layer of thin set and nailed or screwed down....or if height is a problem, you can put a membrane called Ditra..it's only 1/8 thick and is a crack islolation membrane.

www.schluter .com is the address for Ditra.

or you can see what other people have to say about that wiremesh/scratchcoat method

www.ontariotile.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: