grout flakes off

Old 09-08-02, 01:10 PM
homeremodel
Visiting Guest
grout flakes off

i would like to know what is making the grout flake and break loose before i can seal it. would like info as to how to solve it so i can finish this project.thanks.

Old 09-08-02, 02:04 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi
Is this happening over the whole installation, or just a few areas?..it could be you have some loose tile?

Old 09-08-02, 10:16 PM
homeremodel
Visiting Guest
flakey grout

it is happening in certain spots and then also about a 1/4 of the area. could it be that the grout is not good or something like that also? like say if the grout has been wet before? i have done this before bbut never had the grout do this before.

Old 09-08-02, 10:42 PM
A
Hi
What brand of grout was it? and was it an old left over bag? Grout does have a shelf life...how old was it?

Old 09-08-02, 11:55 PM
homeremodel
Visiting Guest
grout problem

not sure how old grout was but i do know it had been opened before and used. not sure when though but if it helps the grout has hard lumps in it. would that make a difference? just like i said i just have never had it do this to me before and so now it is new to me and all. tried to redo part of it but it just did the same thing the second time and can't figure out why. thank you.

Old 09-08-02, 11:58 PM
homeremodel
Visiting Guest
polyblend

sorry forgot to tell you brand name. it is polyblend grout.

Old 09-09-02, 03:15 PM
A
Hi
If the grout had lumps in it, then it's best to just throw it away...it does loose it's strength over time..especially if it has been in contact with moisture(the lumps). You should still be able to get that colour at Home Depot..since they sell Polyblend. Dig out the loose area and try again with the new grout. If it does the same thing, then you have some movement in the floor or tile, and you'll have to fix that before the grout will stay in.

Old 09-09-02, 09:06 PM
homeremodel
Visiting Guest
thanks

thank you for all your help and advice. it has helped me alot thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: