Tiling on wall behind stove

Old 09-14-02, 11:07 AM
dons
Visiting Guest
Tiling on wall behind stove

The people that built my kitchen before I moved in left the tiling unfinished behind the stove. The stove is a 36" wide behemouth that is impossible for me to move. The wall area behind my stove is Wonderboard, with the rough side facing out. I've decided to do the tiling myself since the area is so small. Based on what I have read in this forum, I will use thinset. However, my understanding is that until the thinset dries, it will not hold the tiles (i.e., there will be sag). How do I prevent that from occuring during the drying process? I guess I could put up a piece of wood (2"x2"?) to support the tile until the thinset dries. If I do that, I will have to put that piece of wood at a point one row above where the tile will start because the 6" backsplash of the stove is in the way. What would I then do to install the first layer (i.e., the layer that will be partially behind the backsplash and partially exposed)? Use mastic spread on the tile and then slip it behind the backsplash? When all is said and done, iIs it OK that the tile doesn't go all the way to the floor (in other words, the first row won't have anything to rest on)? Thanks for your collective wisdom on this!

Old 09-15-02, 09:24 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you can use a double duty mastic instead of thinset will work just fine with no sagging. But if you want to use thin set use tape to hold up your last run of tile just tape it to the tile above it till it drys.

Old 09-16-02, 08:25 AM
dons
Visiting Guest
Thanks, nac1. Is it ok to use the mastic for tile behind the stove? The heat won't affect the mastic?

Old 09-16-02, 03:15 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the heat from stove won't affect the mastic. Ive used it for years with no problems. I used mastic above my fireplace and tiles get hot from the fires i build no promblems been there 10 plus years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: