grout sealing

Old 09-22-02, 04:37 PM
umbee
Visiting Guest
grout sealing

We have a large ceramic tiled kitchen floor. We used oyster colored grout lines, which is basically off white. It really looked pretty with the grey and blue tiles we have. I have sealed the whole floor several times, and then I sealed in front of the sinks and fridge several more times. (Just the grout) My problem is this. We have a large family, high traffic, and 1/4 inch grout lines. They always seem to be dingy looking. I mop about once a week or more, but they are always stained and dark looking. I have used a tile cleaner to clean, and then re-sealed, but I want something that is going to REALLY seal the grout. I used recommended products from the hardware store, but I am still not satisfied. I had considered polyurethaning the grout, but assumed that it would yellow. The kitchen is 16x16ish, so this is a HUGE floor. Does anyone know how to seal this so it won't look dingy, or is that impossible? Can you color grout with a stain? Maybe I should do it in a different color like light grey or something. Any suggestions would be helpful . We spent a boatload of money on this floor, and my husband laid it down all alone over Christmas break. It is a shame to see it look less than fantastic! Thanks! I would even seal it so the whole thing was shiny if that is what it takes.

Old 09-22-02, 06:31 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Grout sealing

A quality penetrating grout sealer applied according to manufacturer's instructions should have produced better results. Rinsing after mopping a section at a time and drying will tend to eliminate dirty water left to dry in grout lines. You can find quality cleaners, sealers, and grout colorants at www.aquamix.com.

Old 09-22-02, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This was cut and pasted from the Floor Covering Installer forum. Karen Church wrote it and she is a well respected stone and tile maintenance contractor in California. Her E-mail is...
KChurch1@earthlink.net

The waterbase sealers are the
least effective. We only use
solvent based penetrating
sealers. If we clean and seal, it's
a two day process. Clean one
day, seal the next when the
moisture is low enough in the
grout to accept the sealer.
Many sealers do well to repel
waterbased staining, but only a
few that we have tested will