Tiling a countertop

Old 09-23-02, 05:18 AM
nachomama
Visiting Guest
Question Tiling a countertop

I am going to install granite tile on my existing formica countertop in the kitchen. Some of the websites I have come across have said that plywood needs to be installed on top of the countertop before installing the tile others say just to install it on top of the roughed up formica. Does anyone know why one method is better than the other?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-02, 02:55 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
Actually both the ways you mentioned are not the best idea...cement backerboard or Schluter Ditra would be a better choice. What are you planning to do on the edges of the counters?

Old 09-23-02, 05:53 PM
Iwannatile
Visiting Guest
Question

Hey, I'm interested in placing tile on my kitchen counters also.
adanac - You sound like you know what you are talking about here. Any tips, suggestions would be appreciated.
One of my questions was going to be about the edges?
Have you done this before? Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks!

Old 09-23-02, 10:37 PM
cdfree
Visiting Guest
I just finished tiling my countertops and have a few tips to offer. It's actually fairly easy--I spent the bulk of my time leveling out the cabinets after moving them a few inches to fit a dishwasher. In any case, I tore the old formica countertops off as carefully as I could and installed a 3/4 inch plywood, exterior grade. I then coated the plywood with 4mm plastic sheeted, stapled on. After that I installed sheets of 1/2 inch wonderboard because the tile (in my case granite) adheres to it better than wood. If I had it to do over again I'd use Hardibacker, which is much easier to work with, lighter and provides all of the same adhesion properties as wonderboard or Durock. For edging, if you're not using tile or bullnose pieces, a company called House of Fara (available at all Menards) makes premade, unfinished oak countertop edging -- this stuff is awesome and cheap. Just mitre it to fit and you've got a professional-looking countertop. Lay the tile and you're done.

Old 09-24-02, 04:48 AM
nachomama
Visiting Guest
Is formica or plywood a bad choice because of adhesion issues?

I plan on using wood molding for the edges.

Old 09-24-02, 05:17 AM
Iwannatile
Visiting Guest
Question

Are there any other possibilities besides wood for the edges?
Like tile?????? Obviously, I haven't done a lot of homework yet on this! Just started thinking about doing this the other day.
Thanks again!

Old 09-24-02, 05:19 AM
Formica is made so things clean up well and don't stick to it. The bond could realease. Even though making the surface as ruf as possible will help a modified thinset stick. Is it the right way to do it... NO.

Wood is organic, and will swell with any moisture. Being that it is organic, it will grow mold under the tile. With granite the grout lines need to be small so you can use unsanded grout. If you use sanded grout, it will scratch the granite.

I used 1/4" hardie backer on this counter top

Old 09-24-02, 10:01 PM
cdfree
Visiting Guest
If you're using granite, you can also use the pre-cut edge pieces they sell to match the tiles. Typically the tiles re from $7-14/sf and the edge pieces are $5-6 each.

Old 09-25-02, 12:39 PM
H
Lightbulb will be building a tile top soon

someone recommended to use schluters as an edging for the countertop; you would have tile then schluter then tile. they come in all shapes and material.- use the rounded edge ones.
I think they would make a good transition vs. using bullnose or wood moulding.

Old 09-25-02, 04:13 PM
A
Hi
Actually, schluter makes a countertop edge in stainless steel and a brass look.

http://www.schluter.com/english/prod...208-index.html

Old 09-25-02, 04:15 PM
cdfree
Visiting Guest
Yeah this stuff is great but for ceramic or other thin tiles. I tried using it with the granite but the tiles were too thick. It seemed impossible to widen the gap without destroying the stuff.

Old 09-25-02, 08:53 PM
I'm sure it comes in different profile heights.

I have only use the edging from schutler one time on a commercial job. Doing mostly residential, they don't like the look of it. Stained wood edging is popular, along with cutting the porcelain tiles on 45 at the corners.

Old 09-30-02, 08:54 AM
H
Schlutter

Thanks to adanc,
The Rondec_Step looks like something I could use; cant find a display to actually see real life visual though. I am in process of contacting a rep for a display location. any tips on that product?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: