Kitchen Tile Floor

Old 09-30-02, 01:03 PM
EricR
Visiting Guest
Kitchen Tile Floor

I'm working my way through the house. My last project was the completely refinish the red oak wood floors. They turned out great. It seems like I'm living in a completely different house now. The floors are now unstained. It really brightens the house up.

I'm starting the planning for my next project which is updating the kitchen. As of right now, I plan to paint my solid wood cabinets white and order new doors and drawers. Basically, it will be like getting new and contemporary white kitchen cabinets. I'm not sure what to do with the floors, however. The floor is currently an outdated laminate in poor condition, so it has to go. I think a tile floor would be nice. In addition, I would replace the backsplash tile to match the floors. Can anyone give me a basic rundown of kitchen tiles? Some of my design concerns are:

1) Size of tile
2) Color
3) Material
4) Durability/Maintenance
5) Comfort
6) Cost

I'm prettly ignorant when it comes to interior design, so any basic information at this point would be of great help.

Old 10-01-02, 08:31 AM
ackcpa
Visiting Guest
I recently tiled my kitchen floor. This was my first tiling experience, and I found that the most useful guide out there was Home Depots Tiling 1-2-3. It did a good job of walking me through the basics. In addition to your other questions, tile sizes range from 8x12, 12x12 and 16x16. To determine size, I would review your kitchen dimensions and pick a tile that works with your kitchen (i.e. a 8x12 tile may not look good in a kitchen that is 12x12). I would also recommend that you buy some tiles from a tile store to determine the appropriate color, size, and look within your house. Cost will depend on the type of tile that want, and where you buy it from. I chose a tile from the Home Depot, and it seems to be holding up fine. I did not rent a tile cutter, since I only had a few cuts (go to Lowes they cut them cheaper than Home Depot). Other tools that you will need will be a trowel (~$3), floating grout trowel (~$10), buckets and sponges. In addition, depending on the type of floor that you have underneath the lament, you may need to put down cement backer board. That is ~$9 a sheet, but well worth it versus the sheets of cement. I would guestimate the total price to tile my kitchen (roughly an 8x12 area) to be around $500, which includes tiles, boards, cement, grout, and other supplies. Hope that this helps to get you started. Any other questions just let me know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: