Clean Hardened Grout

Old 09-30-02, 01:42 PM
eise
Visiting Guest
Clean Hardened Grout

Hi Everyone,

I re-grouted my tiles last evening (Sept 29th, 02) , but I did not do a good enough job at cleaning excess grout from the edges of the grooves. The grout has traveled anywhere between 1/4 to 1/2 an inch on top of the tile.

I would like to clean this up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might do this without damaging the tile or the grout that is already in the grooves?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-02, 02:36 PM
eise
Visiting Guest
Some more details

Hi everyone,

I forgot to indicate that the tiles that I am trying to remove the grout are non-ceramic, porous, floor tiles.

I did some more searching on the Web and some people recommend Sulfamic Acid. Have any of you used Sulfamic Acid?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am trying to sell my house in two days and my plan to refresh the look of the kitchen tiles has back-fired!

Old 10-02-02, 04:17 AM
WhatandHow
Visiting Guest
I have a similar situation - however I havent grouted yet. I have thin-set mortar that I missed duing initial clean up that as dried on top of the <ceramic> tile.

Plastic scraper and elbow-grease? Or is there another <and hopefully simpler> way?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Old 10-02-02, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ummmmm, How did you apply the grout?

Did you lightly wipe it down with a wet sponge after the grout had set up for about 15-20 minutes?

Did you go back and wipe it down with a sponge a second time, after about 10 minutes?

Did you wipe any places you missed after that?

Then buff the haze off the tile as if you were waxing your car?

Old 10-16-02, 06:40 AM
eise
Visiting Guest
Messy Grout

Thanks for your reply Perry,

I did use a sponge after about 20 minutes of drying and then once the haze dried I wiped it off. Were I got into trouble is where on certain edges the grout flared into the pattern of the aggregated surface, and so most grout lines were narrow, aside from these spots that flared. It was the flares that I needed to get remove.

I was able to remove it using Sulfamic Acid, but I would highly recommend for everyone to do right the first time -- I spend hours scrubbing.

Thanks again,

Eise