Changing grout color

Old 10-02-02, 04:55 PM
Gayl
Visiting Guest
Question Changing grout color

I have two very small baths with ceramic tile (white) on the floor. I was told that I could change the grout colors. One room has black grout and the other light blue. I want to change both to white grout color. A tile store owner showed me a can of powder that is susposed to be the basis for this transformation. The cost was about $35 for a small can. Another ceramic tile person said it would be impossible. Anyone familiar with this or tried to go from black grout to white this way? Please help!!

Old 10-02-02, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not that I know of!

Going from light to dark is possible.
Going from dark to light is another story.

Grind the grout out and regrout with the color of your choice.

Old 10-02-02, 05:14 PM
Gayl
Visiting Guest
Angry Changing the grout color

Thank you for our prompt reply! I am sad because we are about ready to move in the house and too late to regrout. My husband says to get concrete deck paint and a small brush and paint the grout white. These baths will only be used 4-5 times a year for about a week at a time. He says I can repaint the grout a few times a year. I should have just had new tile put in but now it is too late.

Old 10-03-02, 10:21 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Changing grout color

Painting grout is not a good idea. It would be time consuming, messy, and take an inordinate amount of time. It is also not a durable option.

Old 10-07-02, 11:29 AM
Willie Stewart
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Grout recolor

There is a product called "Grout Colorant" by Aqua Mix that is (was) available in numerous colors including white and antique white. It is an epoxy formula, water cleanup, grout recolor and sealer all in one. I used a dark color over white about 6 months ago and it is very durable and covers very well. Time consuming, but easy and can do a little area at a time. Available at Lowes in white only - found mine at a tile store, but they were discontinuing the product for unknow reasons. Wife helped and we did about 180 sq. ft. One 8 oz bottle goes a long way. Diluted is easier to spread and does not appear to affect the durablility. Good Luck- Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: