Complicated Question about Fireplace

Old 10-04-02, 09:05 AM
Sarah555
Visiting Guest
Question Complicated Question about Fireplace

First of all let me say that I am a novice female trying to do this on my own.

I have a raised fireplace hearth and want to tile it with tumbled marble. I have already bought the tile and all the tools.

Try to picture this....the hearth is a elevated concrete slap on brick. The concrete slab has a lip all the way around it. The top surface of the concrete slab is nice and level and ready to be tiled. However, the lip on the front and sides (which is about 2 1/2 inches vertically) has many divots in the concrete. I am now trying to figure out how I am going to tile this small lip. It is very visible since it is on the front of the hearth. I have looked for a corner edge that will hang over it but nothing is long enough and I can't find anything like that in marble anyway.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-02, 09:08 AM
Tuberocity
Visiting Guest
A few possible solutions. If you feel comfortable, renting a saw with the proper blade for cutting cement, cutting the lip off would make it easier to install the tile over the edge. Simply cut the lip off, then cut your tiles so they fit the entire edge, top to bottom figuring in how thick your top layer of thinset will be so the grout lines will all be the same top, bottom, and face. Home centers can cut the tiles for you after you have measured for the needed tile size, or you can rent a tile saw. You would install the side tiles first, then install the top tiles over the top edge of the sides. You may want or need to polish the sides of the to tiles. This I have no advice for accept search for a solution. I am sure there is some business out there that could polish these. A palm sander might suffice with the proper grade of paper on it, depends on how perfect you want the polish. Another solution might be to simply fill in underneath the lip with more cement making it square. Use quick set cement in this case, and you may need to make a form to fit around the edge of the fireplace to hold the cement as it dries. Other than this you can simply cut the tiles to fit around the edge and bottom thus covering the lip as is, keeping the lip. This would probably be more dificult, but is doable. If you have trouble getting the tiles to stay put when installing, use quick setting construction grade glue to hold them instead of thinset.
Good luck, I saw no replies, so thought I would attempt to offer some solutions, hopefuly some other members will offer additions or options to these. Good Luck Tom

Old 10-13-02, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Support a 1x2 or a 1x4 up under the lip with wood wedges. Use thinsetting mortar and flat trowel the surface of the lip. then lightly "back butter" the cut tile with thinset.

Becareful cutting marble. The grains and vains can cause it to crack when cutting. Go REAL slow.

Old 10-17-02, 11:38 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you might also consider a Schluter edging- they are metal. may not suit your taste but worth looking at. They do make them for counter tops and flooring applications though. The counter top one would fit your purpose (Schulter-Rondec-Step).
schluter.com