Tile over Brick Fireplace

Old 10-06-02, 03:36 PM
raggazzapazza
Visiting Guest
Tile over Brick Fireplace

I have the intention of putting tile over a brick fireplace.

This is the plan : The cement 'grooves' between the bricks are set in so all the brick evenly stick out. I was thinking of overlaying the entire face of the fireplace with concrete about an 1in this will make the surface flat.

Then add the mortar (mastic ?) and tile.

Am I crazy ?
Any suggestions other suggestions to prepare the surface??

Thanks much,
pazza

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-02, 12:23 PM
glorifiedlily
Visiting Guest
No, that is not a crazy idea... I did something nearly the same as you have planned... I just took the mortar and mixed it with some water.. and applied that over the brick of my fireplace and gave it a stucco look... But,, I don't get to use my fireplace... as the mortar in the back is not sufficient for me to burn.... But I don't see why you couldn't use the cement and then use the mortar .. Cement may work just a good by itself.. Before I applied the mortar,, I added some acrylic paints and got a marbled/granite look.... and before it all dried I stuck copper pennies into the mortar.. that has been several years now and the pennies are still there...

Old 10-08-02, 05:54 PM
raggazzapazza
Visiting Guest
Cool, I it sounds like you added some your owe artistic impressions. Thanks for the reply

I was a little more concerned about the base preparation before I add tile. I know I have to make it level.
The brick is not completely flat and it's groovy and
I don't know if I need to create a good base with concrete or a mortar-thinset that was suggested to me...( I think only because it's easier to handle).

If i do use concrete How long must I wait for an inch thick layer to dry before I start appling the tiles ?

Of course, I have never done this before... wanna give it a try.

Thanks,
Pazza

Old 10-08-02, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use the thinset mortar and flat trowel it on the brick to level it out. At the same time, "back-butter" the tile with thinset with the notched side of the trowel. Stick it on.

Wipe any excess with a damp sponge.

Old 10-08-02, 06:34 PM
glorifiedlily
Visiting Guest
If you go with the cement I would wait a 24 hour period to make sure it was good and dry... You really need a trial test to make sure which way you want to go with this... Cement is popular now even with kitchen sinks and counter tops... but, if you are going to use the fireplace, I would make sure all procedures are in tact before applying anything... as you do not want to create any thing that could cause a fire... outside of the fireplace... in my case, I could not use the fireplace as a heat source.. so that makes a big difference.. but you know what.. I saw on a decorating show this weekend where a fireplace was cemented over completely. and it was flat... and it looked terrific...

Old 10-17-02, 06:44 PM
raggazzapazza
Visiting Guest
Thanks all for your suggestions.

This project has been cancelled. (for now)
The fireplace was made into a gas fireplace by the previous owners. I just wanted to resurface the outside.
In re-examining ...the metal frame that outlines the outside if the fireplace fits so well that I would not be able to fit a tile under it. Also if I put tile on the front step I would not be able to open the fireplaces front panel and there is an electric switch starter on the frame. I would need a professional to re-adjust the unit or at least heavy duty tool to remove some brick at the base. Errr.

I'm not ready for that.
Errr. I'm babbling. I'm disappointed. Back to basketweaving.

pazza

Just in case : How long for the cement to set? 65-70 degree room
1" thick.

Old 10-18-02, 08:20 AM
kevman
Visiting Guest
fyi

Sorry about your project

If you try to tackle it in the future I would use a latex modified thinset mortar and dampen the brick slightly then trowel the thinset smooth.

wait 24 hours

Apply the thinset with a notched trowel as well as back butter the tile (depending on its weight) and get to tiling.

Old 10-18-02, 06:09 PM
raggazzapazza
Visiting Guest
Thanks, kevman.

I was told by a man in the Home Depot to use that too vs. cement.
But that was after he ask who's doing the job. When I said 'me', he paused a moment then said use thinset mortar. I just assumed he said that cos' i'm a girrrl and it was easier to handle.
Cement is tougher to mix and spread ?

hmm.. I what to know which is better material.
The plan was to use 12" tiles.

thanks again.

Old 10-18-02, 07:10 PM
glorifiedlily
Visiting Guest
Hey,, women are just as good at cement as men.. don't ever let the salesperson's con you....

Old 10-18-02, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Carpets Done Wright
Use the thinset mortar and flat trowel it on the brick to level it out. At the same time, "back-butter" the tile with thinset with the notched side of the trowel. Stick it on.

Wipe any excess with a damp sponge.

Bond it all at once and be done