Cutting Tile

Old 10-17-02, 02:41 PM
lck
Visiting Guest
Q about cutting large tile into small accent tiles--probs w/ straight edge?

I'm planning to use a 13 X 13 porcelain tile on my kitchen floor and the 6.5 X 6.5 size of the same tile on my backsplash.

Here's my problem: I want to order the same tile in a different color and cut them down to 3.25 X 3.25 to use as accent tiles on the floor and backsplash. I want to use them similar to the ones typically seen set as a diamond in the middle of 4 large tiles. I was told that this may not be a good idea since the small tiles will not have a factory edge.

Has anyone actually tried this? Is it a safety issue on the floor, or is it just cosmetic? I realize the grout will dip down below the tile line a bit. But if it's just cosmetic, I'm wondering if the edge of such a small tile would be noticeable. I wish the tile company made the size I need, but they don't.

The other possible problem is, even if the edge doesn't matter, how difficult would it be to cut the tiles into 16ths? I was told that the tile I want would be hard to cut down w/ a manual tile scorer/cutter and that I'd need a wet saw. I read on here that a wet saw doesn't do a good job on straight cuts. What should I do? I really wanted to add the accent for a little interest. Is it a bad idea? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-02, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If they are going to be a different color the factory chiseled look edgeing isn't going to matter. With porcelain tiles you can make the dges look somewhat chiseled with the wet saw and some time.

You need a wet saw with a very good blade to cut porcelain with any consistency.

No, it is a good idea to add your accent, and make that floor your work of art. With tile and a wet saw, the imagination can run wild!!! Seriously!!!

Old 10-18-02, 07:01 PM
lck
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much. I feel better now. But is there any problem w/ safety? Would the tile stick up enough to injure anyone when they walk across it?

Old 10-18-02, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NO! After you make your cut, hold the tile up at and angle an buzz down the edge, if your worried about it. Don't be scared of that diamond blade it doesn't cut you, it burns you if you hit it. Someone else had to hold their finger on it to convince me.