Pattern layout

Old 10-22-02, 09:31 AM
elsa
Visiting Guest
Pattern layout

I am installing a tile floor in my foyer. The foyer is 9' X 12'. The tiles that I have purchased came in 4 different sizes. 14"X21", 14"X14", 7"X14", and 7"X7", all being 1/2" thick. My question is how do I layout the floor. I have laid tile before in a rectangular room which the layout was easy. The foyer has a semi- rectangular shape with 5 doorways and a closet. How should I go about laying the job out and where do I start. I have a pattern from the tile company but they were no help in the installation area. I am thinking that I should lay the room out dry first, cut my tiles, then divide the room into 4 quadrants and start in far right corner, and work my way out of the room. I am also laying the tile over Ditra. Any tips from the tile experts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-02, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Complicated patterns can be a bear to layout. Dry laying is good.

You might pop lines every 7" so you have line and grout since your working on multiples of 7 and your grout line.

Old 11-01-02, 08:08 PM
tip_man
Visiting Guest
You must establish a major control line for the room..then a perpendicular control line near the egress of the room. At this intersection use the 3,4,5 rule to produce an excellent starting point for your job.

There is too much explanation on this subject to answer you question here..but an entire book has been written on tile layout at http://www.tileandstonetips.com