Floor prep for ceramic tile Installation

Old 10-25-02, 02:22 PM
JennaMorin
Visiting Guest
Question Floor prep for ceramic tile Installation

I am trying to prepare for the installation of ceramic tile into the entry way of our home. I want to do all my research now to avoid problems. I looked to see what our subfloor was like and I found 2x12 boards. I think they were left overs from a mine. (Our home is older.) Over that is newspaper. Over that is 1" thick hardwood (sealed). Over that is the carpet and padding. My question is:
How should I prepare the floor?
What if this adds too much height to the floor? Will I have to redo the entire door casing and purchase a new door because the door cannot be cut?
The only tiles I have found are 13x13 tiles and I planned on cutting them with a tile saw. How easy is this for a beginner or should I be more patient and keep looking for smaller 6x6 tile precut?

Any help will be appreciated.

Jenna

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-02, 03:38 PM
helenathome
Visiting Guest
tiles

Hi there
I am just tiling my entrance area too. From what i've read, you can tile over sub-floor wood if it's 1 1/4 thick all together. I had to lay cement board since I only had 5/8 thivk plywood sub floor. So, I ripped up the carpet and the padding, then added 1/2 inch cement board (mortared down) and then the 1/4 inch thick tiles on top of that. The height was a bit higher than before, but there is still plenty of clearance for the door to open. I had to cut small pieces of the doorway trim off the bottom though.
I dont' think you'll have any trouble if you take up the carpet and lay the tiles on the hardwood. If it's smooth it should be roughed up first so the mortar will adhere though. Also- first check for squeaks (movement) in the flooring before you tile over it. Any movement will cause big problems later on.
Good luck. It's a big job for a rookie like me, but measure, measure measure and you'll be all right.

Old 10-27-02, 05:36 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
Unfortunaltly, you can't put ceramic tile down over hardwood..it wouldn't last too long..hardwood just moves too much.Even installing cement board over hardwood is risky..I've seen the hardwood lift the board and tile 3 inches off the subfloor from expanision. Other than that, I can't give you anymore advice without seeing what you have to work with under the hardwood. Sorry.

Old 10-28-02, 11:28 AM
kjbcrev99
Visiting Guest
My husband has a ceramic tile business.
Wood floors fluctuate too much to be reliable under ceramic.
If I were you, tear up everything to the sub-floor. You MUST put down Dur-rock (cement board) to keep the tile from cracking later.

Tiling is easy for amateurs once you've practiced with the bigger pieces. Start at the entrance and work down the middle. All your cuts should be on the edges of the floor (It looks nicer). You can rent a tile cutter at your local hardware store. Get 10% extra to allow for mistakes, corners, and edges.

Remember, measure twice, cut once.