Ceramic tiles in Bathroom floor

Old 10-29-02, 08:11 AM
akkers
Visiting Guest
Ceramic tiles in Bathroom floor

I am trying to lay ceramic floor tiles in the bathroom. I have layed playwood on top of floorboards and made it pefectly flat. Then I layed the tiles with waterproof tile adhesive. However, after 2 weeks the tiles started to lift.

Somebody has advised me to use 'bonding' or 'unibond' on the floor surface before laying teh tiles with adhesive.

I am confused. I need help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-02, 04:08 PM
spooknu
Visiting Guest
what type of plywood did you use? Not all types of plywood are recommended. Also the thickness of the wood can be a factor. If not thick enough there could be some flex causing tile to pop off. I use versibond thinset and I highly recommend it. You can find it at HomeDepot stores.

Old 10-29-02, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The floor cannot have any movement what so ever. It's called deflection.

A cement backer board, an uncoupling membrane, or a dry pack mud bed are the only approved way to install ceramic tile over a wood subfloor.

If you install it directly to the wood, the wood expands and contracts at a different rate then tile. Just that alone will pop tiles loose. Movement is the tiles worst enemy.

Home Depot has 3 gray thinset mortars all made by Custom Building Products. The "red" bag: it is good for general tile setting. It is the cheap way out. The "green" bag: It has some flex bond in it(latex) it helps with bonding and flexability. Then there is the "green & orange" bag: This is the stuff you want!!! It isn't $5 per bag like the "red" bag is, but you get what you pay for.