never tiled...

Old 10-30-02, 03:39 AM
kangelm
Visiting Guest
never tiled...

in re-building the kitchen in a really old apt i'm running into problem after problem, the most recent are the waterpipes that were installed OUTSIDE the wall!! so this leaves about a 4 inch gap between anything and the wall. all these pipes are (luckily) below waist level, so i've decided to build a sort of ledge above them even with the countertops and tile that ledge. i've seen words like 'wonderboard' , cement backerboard and i've seen small tiles (i think 3/4 inch squares) that are connected with a mesh
now i'm wondering, would this be possible, would it be too much of a pain? and most of all... how do i get started????

any feedback would be most appreciated
thanks,
mike

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-02, 04:33 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing ceramic tile

A good place to begin learning about ceramic tile is at www.doityourself.com/ceramic. Concrete underlayment board is recommended for floor tile installations as it provides a stable underlayment. Any movement in subfloor tends to result in grout failure and possibly cracked tiles. Concrete underlayment is also recommended in tub/shower areas where there is a lot of moisture. Its waterproof characteristics make it more desirable than water resistant greenboard and drywall which deteriorate when exposed to moisture.

You might consider boxing in your pipes to form the ledge you desire by using 2"x4"s and covering with drywall. Wall tiles can be applied with mastic.

Old 10-30-02, 08:41 AM
kangelm
Visiting Guest
yes, i have created a 'box' just like you've described, with a 2x4 on the top and the bottom as the pipes are a little above and a little below knee high. placing floor cabinets, stove, counter top, etc. flush up to it and painted what little that shows as a wall, now i'm gonna tile the top of the 'box'.
so it seems i'm doing right as long as i can tile the top 2x4. with small mosaic tiles or something similar

thanks for the reply
mike