should i do it myself?

Old 11-06-02, 09:10 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
should i do it myself?

In the house we just bought the breezway and attached garage is a "newer" addition to the house. It is probably 20 years old or so, not sure though. We would like to put tile in the breezway to help freshen it up. I am a very quick learner but have never done anything like tiling before. Should I try to do this myself or am I asking for a nightmare? I am not sure what is underneath the carpet but I am willing to bet it is glued back carpeting on top of the concrete slab. Would I need to do anything to the floor other than rip up the carpet if it is indeed a concrete slab underneath? Also, I live in Maine, the temperature has not been higher than 45 for the last three weeks and will be getting only colder for the next 4 months. There is no baseboard in the breezway. Will the cold (below freezing temperatures) have a negative effect on the tile? I would not be doing any of the work until the spring, i just want to get a jump on learning. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-02, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 47 Posts
Definitely d-i-y; tiling is not only pretty easy to learn, but a fairly inexpensive d-i-y project.

Check your local home centers (Lowe's, Home Depot if possible) to see when their next class on tiling is. These guys do a pretty good job of teaching the basics and tiling classes are fairly frequent due to their popularity. They should be able to answer any local concern questions (freezing temps which I can NOT answer, LOL) and will probably discuss surface prep, too. Once you get the carpet up you would need to, at a minimum, get up all the carpet and adhesive residue before starting.

Old 11-06-02, 03:31 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor tile

Make sure you select a tile for outdoor use because of your freezing temperatures. There is a lot of DIY info on this website and on the internet. You might want to stop by the library and take a look at their DIY books.

Old 11-08-02, 07:01 PM
Ginnya
Visiting Guest
Laying tile is easy I did my whole house by myself! One thing for sure is I strongly recommend you rent an electric tile saw, it makes the job so much easier, less broken tiles.