Can you tile over a brick fireplace?

Old 11-11-02, 06:42 PM
lindahrdh
Visiting Guest
Question Can you tile over a brick fireplace?

We are moving into a newer home that has a brick fireplace. We are converting the wood burning fireplace to a gas one. I'm wondering if it is possible to have Tile placed OVER the brick instead of ripping it all out. If so what is the best kind of tile to use Marble or Granite?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-02, 11:42 AM
Sarah555
Visiting Guest
Question Ditto that question!!!!

I was going to post the same exact question. I want to tile a fireplace surround and it is all ugly brick right now. Can i tile right over the brick? If not, what could I do?

Old 11-12-02, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use modified thinset(the green and orange bag at Home
Depot, called Flexbond)
For granite and especially marble, Use the white thinset instead of the gray.(white and purple bag)

Use the flat side of the trowel and fill the mortar joints on
the brick, starting at the bottom. At the same time, use
the notched side to "back butter" the tile itself. Stick it
on the brick where you want it. Flat trowel some more
and back butter and set another, then use your trusty
spacers. Have a bucket of clean water, and a sponge for
any thinset clean up that gets dripped or from messy
hands and fingers on the tile surface.

Old 11-13-02, 06:49 PM
Greg at Tips
Visiting Guest
I think a lot of setters might apply a scratch coat, before setting the tile (especially granite or marble). The most important part is getting very positive contact to the brick. The brick should be very clean and dry. I might apply a diamond metal lath with masonry screws and then apply a cement masonry mix (sand and cement). The mix could be pushed through the lath to the brick. Then the outside surface can be screeded to a smooth plumb and square surface. Before it dries scratch it for a rough texture. Let dry and then start tiling over it with a thin-set mix suitable for marble and granite (Note: some green marbles require epoxy thin-set). This scratch coat build-up may allow you to adjust the dimensions of the fireplace a little to better suit the tile layout on the fireplace. Its important to know were the tiles will go before you start. Having a solid, plumb, straight, and square setting surface first will make a much better job.

More on Tile layout for fireplaces and some pictures for ideas at the web site below.

http://www.tileandstonetips.com/[/URL]