Weight of granite flooring and countertops

Old 11-11-02, 08:10 PM
Waves
Visiting Guest
Weight of granite flooring and countertops

Hi, I am about to have installed about 350 sq. ft. of granite tile flooring and 60 sq. ft. of granite countertops with a thickness of 1.25" in the kitchen.

I am worry that the additional weight may cause the kitchen floor to sag over time or even worse---eventually collapse under the weight.

My house is two years old and the kitchen is supported by 2x12 Silent Floor System joists which are 14" apart and they span approximately 17' with the ends resting on a poured concrete foundation.

Do I need to reinforce the joists with a steel I-beam in the basement and supported by several pillars (I hope I don't need to because it would be unsightly and would be in the middle of a room in the basement).

Thanks you for any advise given!

Old 11-16-02, 11:39 AM
Azule_bahia
Visiting Guest
Well I dont know what kind of stone you're going to use, but with 60 sq. ft. your dealing with roughly 1200 to 1600 lbs. This may cause your cabinits to settle a bit, but the weight will be spread out over a large enough area where it shouldnt cause a problem for your floors.

Old 11-16-02, 03:21 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Silent floor system

If in doubt, contact the manufacturer or retailer regarding the ability to support the weight of your natural stone products. Granite flooring and countertops are very popular and are installed in homes every day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: