Tile over tile

Old 11-20-02, 08:37 PM
DZWIRN
Visiting Guest
Tile over tile

I'm remodeling a bathroom in an 89 year old house. Two of the walls of the tub surround are exterior walls with original tile attached directly to the block walls (no studs). There have been several repairs to the walls and the surfaces are very uneven. I want to tile over the walls. I'm assuming that I need to use backer board, but what should I use to even out the walls and can I attach the backer board with liquid nails? Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-02, 09:12 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile over tile on shower walls

Tiling over shower wall tile tends not to be recommended. For a professional job, you should remove wall tile and drywall. Use the recommended concrete underlayment in the shower wall area because of its waterproof characteristics. Then, apply new tile and grout.

You can find helpful info on this website at http://www.doityourself.com/ceramic/

Old 11-29-02, 01:35 PM
DZWIRN
Visiting Guest
I know that I have to use cement board before I tile. My question is how do I attach it to the walls. If I take off all the old tile I will reach the block walls and there are no studs in the walls to attach the cement board to. There is no drywall under it either. There are just the tiles set in cement which was applied right to the block wall. The blocks are hollow, similar to cinder blocks but they look like they're made of terra cotta.

Old 11-30-02, 08:33 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you have 2 choices either fur the wall with 1x4"s nailed with concrete nails, use tar paper as a vapor barrier. ( this way is most common for exterior walls to protect against moisture). Or you can use a latex modified thin set to stick the concrete backer board directly to the block wall using 1" stub nails to hold up until thin set drys.