Cultured Marble Scratches

Old 11-25-02, 03:25 PM
doubledoo
Visiting Guest
Question Cultured Marble Scratches

Recently we had painters in the house performing a warranty job in the Master Ensuite. When they left we realized that they were placing their full paint cans on the Cultured Marble Vanity to close the lids. As you can surmise the Vanity is scratched and some of the areas on the counter contain high scratch mark areas. As the painters were pretty decent gents over all I would like to fix this problem myself before getting on them about this oversight.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can (if I can?) remove these surface scratches? The scratches are not deep and can barely be felt by moving a fingernail over them. However, they are noticeable under most types of lighting. I have heard power polishing works with an Automotive Wax. As this sounds too easy of a solution I was naturally sceptical.

Scratched in Calgary.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-02, 08:14 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
scratches

hi fellow canadian

first of all they have embarassed me as a painter for doing what they did, but that is all after the point now.

if i were you i would phone the paint company and tell them about your problem and let them know you will try to fix it yourself, but if not possible they may be reponsible for repair costs.

ok not to fix it
first call the manufacturer of the marble and ask for recommendations
there are many ways to fix it , and yes they all sound easy and they are

you can use a car wax and a buffer, this is where i would start to see if it works

if not you will step up to a polishing or rubbing compound(also for cars) and buff as well

if they are even to deep for compound you will have to resort to wet sanding with a 600 grit sandpaper and polish after with a car wax

another option than car wax is what cultured marble manufacturers call gel coat this is to put a permanent gloss back on the counter since car wax will need to be done a few times a year depending on use.

if you need to get to the point of using a compound or sandpaper i would suggest using a gel coat

good luck

hire me next time