Your Thoughts on Sealants

Old 12-28-02, 11:57 AM
BoatCop
Visiting Guest
Your Thoughts on Sealants

I've been reading the thread on expansion joints, and made sure my tub surround, baseboards, and edges subject to expansion/contraction were set with caulk, rather than grout.

My new bathroom is approx. 8 x 11 with 12" ceramic tile on the floor and on the sides of the whirlpool surround. The baseboards, and trim around the tub is 3 x 12 bullnose.

I wanted to keep the caulk as close to the color of the grout, so I used "Custom Building Products" Polyblend Ceramic Tile Caulk with the "sanded" formula, matched to the Polyblend grout color.

It went in/on easy enough, seems to seal properly, and matches the grout exactly. (I compared it to the same grout I put around my fireplace)

Does anyone have any comments, experiences (good or bad) using this product? It seems like the real deal, but this is my first attempt at tiling.

Ingredients are: Water, Mineral spirits, Butyl Benzyl Pathalate, Calcium Carbonate, Acrylic Copolymer, Silica Quartz.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-02, 04:12 PM
Garrison
Visiting Guest
No problems with latex caulk as long as it isn't in constant contact with water. Occasional water won't affect it . I used to use latex color match in the bottom of showers where floor meets wall until I started getting call backs because the caulk was pulling out. Now I use 100% silicone.
Garrison

Old 12-29-02, 04:36 AM
ameyer
Visiting Guest
What brand of caulk do you consider the best?

Old 12-29-02, 12:43 PM
Garrison
Visiting Guest
I use what my local tile dist. carries. The name brand is Ceramaseal. As far as silicone goes, if it's 100% silicone than that's all that matters no matter what the brand name.
Al, there are quite a few top of the line tile companies down there in the Brighton area. Check them out for your grout and color match caulk.
Garrison

Old 01-03-03, 06:31 AM
WJS_SR51
Visiting Guest
Not all 100% silicone caulks contain a mildicide to prevent mildew.

I've seen older jobs where the mildew grows inside the silicone- only way to get rid of it is removal.

Check lable for words like Tub or Bath