Ceramic Tile Removal

Old 01-02-03, 12:02 PM
Reyno
Visiting Guest
Angry Ceramic Tile Removal

I want to remove ceramic tile around our bathtub that were installed about 1980. A freind told me that using heat will work. I removed four or five on a trial run with my heat gun and it works like a hot dam. The tile has to be quite warm to lift them off. The tile is mounted to ordinary gyprock that has been painted. Probably an oil base paint. However after removing the tile I felt somewhat giddy and nauseous. My question is would the adhesive used emit toxic fumes when heated or was it something I had for lunch?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-03, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
It's possible...in 1980 they still may have been using solvent based mastic(is it brown?)....latex based mastic, while still having a smell, probably wouldn't be so bad..but I've got to the point that I don't like it much either.
Are you going to re-tile? Sometimes it's easier to just pull off everything...tile and drywall together...replace the drywall and put on new tile(though cement board is better behind tile)

Old 01-03-03, 06:53 AM
WJS_SR51
Visiting Guest
I absolutely agree. Put the heat gun away and rip everything back to the studs. Use roofing felt (tar paper 15#) for a moisture barrier and install concrete board.

Old 01-03-03, 10:22 AM
Reyno
Visiting Guest
Removal of Ceramis tile

Thanks a bunch for the info. Yes the adhesive is a brown colour. From all the posts I have seen on tile removal tile the jack hammer appears to be the tool of choice, However the heat gun worked so well and was such a clean operation that I wanted to use it. And yes I would also rip if the gyprock and use backer board to reinstall the tile.
Thanks again.

Old 01-03-03, 10:40 AM
WJS_SR51
Visiting Guest
You said it was tile glued to drywall. If it doesnt go all of the way to the ceiling cut through the drywall at the top of the tile with a knife or saw. Punch a hole through the tile somewhere , reach in,grab the wall and pull. The nails should pull out and you will have big pieces to throw out.

First protect the tub with a dropcloth and place duct tape over the drain. Wear gloves.

No jack hammer needed.

Old 01-03-03, 11:54 AM
Reyno
Visiting Guest
Ceramuic Tile Removal

Thanks Bill. Tub is not a problem. Thr reason for the retile is the tub is hooped and needs to be replaced. And the new tile area will be greater then the old area. Like you say I should be able to saw the gyprock and the seam will be covered with the new tile.
Thankls again