temp. for mortar/tile

Old 01-04-03, 07:29 AM
drmax
Visiting Guest
temp. for mortar/tile

about to lay some tile in my garage. it a non-heated area and probably stays around 40 degrees F. This area may one day support a small fridg/freezer, but will not really be walked on. My question, do I need to add some type of additive to the mortar because it will be below the recommened 50 degrees, or will I be ok? The bag of powder states to use at temps above 50. Thx for any help. DM

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-03, 07:43 AM
drmax
Visiting Guest

I did a search here, and it pretty much says to wait for warmer weather, or heat the area. (3 car garage a bit much to keep at 50 degrees here in indianapolis) i thought there was some type of additive to put in the mix to help the cure. concrete is poured when it's freezing..... hmm, i'll wait from a pro. to respond. Thx, DM

Old 01-04-03, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
At 40 degrees, thin set will not set up at all. There are additives to make it set up faster, but I'm not sure how it will affect the thin set. You could buy some quick set thin set..the cool temperature will slow down the mix, but it will get hard..as long as you are not below freezing.

Old 01-04-03, 10:55 AM
drmax
Visiting Guest
adanac

Hi. I'll stop by Lowes on the way home to see if they sell something different. If not, I'll try to heat up the area I'll be working, or, put it off for a couple of months. Thx for pointing out a different type of thinset.