new ceramic floor - cracking noise

Old 01-09-03, 01:00 PM
bjohnston
Visiting Guest
new ceramic floor - cracking noise

I just had ceramic tile floor put in my kitchen. Sometimes when my husband walks on it, you can hear a cracking sound in one or two spots. We can't see any damage to the tile or grout. Do you know what this could be?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-03, 02:25 PM
ostuni
Visiting Guest
what does your husband weigh? kidding! my first guess would be grout or thinset not having set well, but people smarter than me will have more/better ideas... you did say you had it installed? have you had the installer check it?

Old 01-09-03, 03:46 PM
Garrison
Visiting Guest
Yes, it sounds like some of the tiles didn't adhere to the thinset. If it's a high traffic area then it won't be to long until the grout starts cracking and breaking out too.
You had the tile installed by a pro? Definitely call the installer back to check it out. He can pull up any loose tile and install properly.
Garrison

Old 01-09-03, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cracking noise

If concrete underlayment board, the proper thin set mortar and tiles tamped into place into the thinset to eliminate air pockets, was done you should have a solidly installed tile. If you are walking on tile and hearing cracking noise, then it is a matter of time before you will probably have grout failure and possibly cracked tiles. You need to contact the flooring dealer/installer regarding your problem.