tile threshold

Old 01-09-03, 02:02 PM
ostuni
Visiting Guest
tile threshold

when dry fitting ceramic tiles for a small (25 sf) L-shaped upstairs bathroom floor, i can use full tiles (12x12) on the long wall rows, BUT, i come up 2 inches short of the door threshold. iow, i got wood floor in the hall, a wood transition strip that will fit nicely under door when closed, and then the 2 inches of no man's land to the tile.. finally, the question: would it be a terrible idea to cover the 2 inches of no man's land with a row of cut tiles? the cut side will go under the 1/4 round, the transition strip, etc.

that seems to violate conventional wisdom, but assuming the appearance is ok with me, and knowing that this is a seldom used guest bath, any thoughts? mtia

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-03, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile installation

You will have to cut tiles to finish the job. As you say, the transitional strip will cover some of the transition, and you will be just fine.

Old 01-09-03, 06:47 PM
Garrison
Visiting Guest
Without seeing the layout of the room, I'm guessing a bit, but I would suggest cutting about 4" off of the full tiles on the long wall. This should bring the 2" strip out to 7" or so? One way or another, trim the tile on the long wall so that the tile at the door is about the same width. Clear as mud?
Garrison

Old 01-09-03, 07:13 PM
ostuni
Visiting Guest
thanks guys, but not sure twelvepole understood my scheme: i would like to keep the full tiles as they are and fill that no man's land between door threshold and full tiles with tiles that will be cut to 2 inches... garrison recommends the conventional wisdom, but i was hoping to get away with the very narrow 2 inch tiles? make sense? cheers.