Re-grouting/caulking - grout mix or caulk?

Old 01-11-03, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Re-grouting/caulking - grout mix or caulk?

My kitchen has laminated countertops and the backsplash is ceramic tile. When the house was built the joint (gap) where the countertop and ceramic tile meet was filled with tile grout, which is common. However, over time this grout crumbled, chipped, got dirty and simply looked bad so I decided to remove it. Now I am ready to re-fill the small gap between the countertop and the ceramic tile but I'm not so sure what I should use.

Do you recommend that I use a caulk in lieu of true grout mix? And if you recommend caulk, what type of caulk; latex or silicone?

Kooter

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-03, 08:51 PM
Hi
Siliconized latex caulk is the easiest to use. Since you can clean up with water..even a mistake can be fixed with warm water and a sponge. Just wipe the joint until you get the way you want it to look.

Old 01-12-03, 08:48 AM
moechris
Visiting Guest
Caulk looks like caulk!

Caulk, even though most practical and water proof, still, looks like caulk regardless of how well done. Grout looks better but, in your situation, probably will not last very long. So, in my opinion, it is a trdeoff.

Old 01-12-03, 08:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
All of todays grout colors can be duplicated in a matching caulk, either sanded or unsanded is available. If you can determine the brand and color of grout used you can easily match it.

If you don't know what was used go to a tile store and borrow a set of grout samples to take home and match to your grout. There are many grout manufacturers and thru the process of elimination you can match your grout with the proper caulk.

Caulk is what should have been used to begin with since it offers the necessary flexibility needed to seal between the two very different materials and still allow them to move as they will.

Old 01-12-03, 09:21 AM
Thanks guys! I failed to say that the color of the tile grout was basic white, instead of a colored grout, so I believe I'll use siliconized white caulk to replace the white tile grout.

I appreciate the help!

Kooter