Granite over brick fireplace?

Old 01-14-03, 12:39 PM
dnewma04
Visiting Guest
Granite over brick fireplace?

I woudl like to Add granite tile to an existing brick fireplace in my bedroom. The brick has a relatively smooth surface and is in good shape. The color is very bad and the Brick is a long narrow brick that is unbecoming in the room. I would like to just use Granite (black) floor tiles, but I need to know what to put on the brick to get proper adhesion.

thanks!

Dave Newman

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-03, 12:43 PM
dnewma04
Visiting Guest
I found http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=117803 just down the page. It references a "modified" thinset. What does modified thinset mean? Is that just a type of mortar or is that something that is user modified in some way?

Old 01-14-03, 03:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mortars used to instal tiles are referred to as "thinset". It's a long story and no need to go into it now.

"Modified" thinsets are thinset mortars that contain polymers and other additives to enhance their use. There are lesser expensive thinsets that have an intended purpose but won't cover all bases in installing tile.

Your fireplace as you describe it shouldn't need any major preparation prior to installing tile other than maybe a good cleaning if there is built up dirt and soot from being used over the years. A product called TSP should do the cleaning trick and is available at your Home Center or hardware store.

Stay away from the less expensive thinsets that cost around $5 for a fifty pound bag. This is the low grade product and won't serve your purpose very well at all.

Use a modified thinset that costs around $15 ormore per fifty pound bag. The bag will clearly state that it contains a modified thinset. Just so you know there are also liquid additives (enhancers) that are available for thinset but if you buy the correct product to begin with you won't need the expensive liquid additive.

Old 01-14-03, 07:02 PM
dnewma04
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the explanation. I will buy the material tomorrow.

Old 01-14-03, 07:10 PM
With granite, use the "white" modified thinset, not the gray.

Flat trowel it on first, to fill the mortar joints in the existing brick, and then flip the trowel over and spread mortar on the back of the granite tile, not on the fireplace wall.

At least that's how I do it, and it is less messy in my book.

Old 01-14-03, 08:36 PM
dnewma04
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-14-03, 10:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For what it's worth and in the "Different Strokes For Different Folks" department when installing tile over brick such as is this case, I use the "Daub Method".

I place four or five good daubs of thinset on the back of each tile then "set it" to the brick. Usually brick isn't perfectly flat and this method allows the tile to be trued with a level for a "plane" face and at the same time gives the purge a place to go. Irregularities in the bricks face surface aren't as important this way and you really don't need 80 to 100% tile to thinset contact in this case. Unless of course you plan on walking on the walls.