Tile floor to replace carpeting

Old 01-15-03, 08:32 AM
B
Bobbiew
Visiting Guest

I'm thinking of putting tile down in my living room instead of new carpet because I have 4 dogs who run the household! Our old carpet was'nt the best to begin with and I'm afraid to install new carpeting since the dogs tend to have accidents from time to time and it has really ruined spots so I thought tile (ceramic or stone) would be better. Can this be installed over a cement flooring? How difficult is it for a DIY'er to do?? Our living area is fairly large and Is tile more expensive,less expensive than carpeting? Should I look into having a professional do the job??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-03, 12:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes you can do it, in fact over concrete is generally the easiest for a DIY project. That's the up side.

I'm not sure there will be a down side but you must first peruse your concrete (I've been wanting to use that word for a while now...purr-o-o-o-z-e, love it!) and check for cracks. Some cracks are OK and some are not...so that would be the first thing to do.

Next question is....
Is your carpet glued down or stretched over perimeter tack strips?

Old 01-15-03, 07:06 PM
B
Bobbiew
Visiting Guest

Thanks Bud for your response!
The carpeting is on the tack strips, not sure how good cement flooring is underneath, this house was built back in the 40's and when we bought it there had been some remodeling done and the carpet was new (6 yrs ago) but its not the best quality, and whomever put it down did'nt stretch it as good as it should have been. We pulled up the capeting in the hallway and put down the vinyl tiles that are stick on that you can get at home depot. But for the living room I want ceramic or stone.
Ok now I know that you love the word peruse but being the dummy that I am what does it mean? (you get to say it again!)
Thanks again Nebraska (I noticed you live in that state, originally I hail from Indiana) for your fast response!! (I miss the midwest!)

Have a great day!!

Old 01-15-03, 07:46 PM
Actually I hail from Illinois but that was a long time ago. I now hang my hat in Nebraska where I met my wife more than two decades ago. Wore out more than one hat in Texas over a thirteen year peiod too.

Peruse?

Main Entry: pe·ruse
Pronunciation: p&-'rüz
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): pe·rused; pe·rus·ing
Etymology: Middle English, to use up, deal with in sequence, from Latin per- thoroughly + Middle English usen to use
Date: 1532
1 a : to examine or consider with attention and in detail : STUDY b : to look over or through in a casual or cursory manner

"a" and "b" seem to contradict one another don't they?

Old 01-16-03, 08:00 AM
B
Bobbiew
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hey! We were almost neighbors at one time! Thanks for the detailed info on that word that you like! This project is farther down on my to do list (or on my hubbys honey-do list) He's retired and he works at a slow pace now! First thing I want to persue is putting in a double patio door where there is just one door to let more light into my living room.
This weekend i may go looking at tiles and get a good idea of what this project may cost.

Thanks Bud and have a good day!

Old 01-16-03, 05:22 PM