Thinset coming up around edges of tile..

Old 01-16-03, 01:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Thinset coming up around edges of tile..

I helped a buddy with some tiling a few weekends ago and we had a problemwith the thinset coming up between the tiles as we layed the floor. Didn't effect the final look as we were able to simply scrape the extra thinset out with one of the spacers but it was a pain. What were we doing wrong? Using wrong trowel notch size, pushing the tile down too hard? This didn't happen to me last time I tiled but the tiles I was using were about twice as thick.

I am tiling a floor this weekend with fairly thin tile (13" squares) and don't want a repeat.

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-03, 05:25 PM
BoatCop
Visiting Guest
It's pretty normal for some thinset to come up between the tiles. It happens more often on thin tiles. You did right to use the spacers to scrape them out before it set.

Old 01-16-03, 06:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generally...most everyday floor tiles are 5/16" in thickness.
Generally...a 1/4" X 1/4" X 1/4" trowell can be used.

If you place the tile by first setting a corner in place then let the tile gently flop into place then also gently"squiggle" the tile back and forth a few times you'll be fine and plenty of thinset-to-tile contact will be made. Don't drop the tiles near their final resting place then slide them into position plowing up a bunch of thinset.

The construction of the back of the tile is what really determines which trowel notch should be used I think.

Old 01-17-03, 08:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info

I appreciate the information folks. I'll be tiling on Saturday with no worries. It's gonna be cold mixing the thinset and grout and emptying those wash buckets this weekend in Atlanta.

Old 01-17-03, 10:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can handle it!
It was 16 below here when I got up this morning.

Just be sure your goods are up to temp before jumping in.