Grout

Old 01-17-03, 04:52 PM
Geigerman
Visiting Guest
Grout

What is the purpose of using grout on a ceramic tile floor? Is it merely decorative? Is it adhesive? How much is too much/little grout?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-03, 10:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What else would you use to fill those pesky little cracks everywhere?

How much is too much??????

Huh?

Old 01-17-03, 11:19 PM
Bud?..you're supposed to be answering the questions...not asking more!

Old 01-18-03, 09:56 AM
Yes I know but I don't always understand the questions!!!

I probably don't always do a good job at answering them either.

When I make comments here I assume we're all on the same page but unfortunately we're not always. I guess that goes for everyone. What seems like a simple and straight forward question or comment to the poster isn't always received or perceived as such on the other end I guess.

Hey...that's the Internet.

Old 01-18-03, 03:50 PM
Okay, I'll give it a try.

The purpose of grout is to provide a durable and attractive surface between the tiles, since tiles are not manufactured precisely enough to be installed with no gap. I know of no acceptable alternative to fill this gap that is as durable, attractive, and relatively easy to clean.

The right amount is enough to fill the gap with no air pockets. Most people like the grout surface to end up slightly below the tile surface.

But I agree with Bud. It's not possible to provide a good answer without a good understanding of the question. It seems that Geigerman may have more on his mind than his question revealed.

Old 01-18-03, 04:17 PM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Hey Bud, I made it and i see your yer old self again.
And wow an electrical moderator that understands the mechanics of tile and grout. Outstanding!!

Ok this is my first post here and i am only on loan from another forum so i'll do my best to give a complete answer to the above.

Tile is a manufactured product with inconsistancy s in size.Some tiles require larger grout lines than others due to the variations in the product.
Example 6x6 metro quarry tile states right on the box to use nothing less than a 3/8" grout joint.(why one might ask) Because the tiles vary up to 1/8" in size. If you have a 1/4" joint and 2 off sized tiles that are an 1/8" larger than the norm. poof,no joint left at all.
Another reason for joints in tile is to allow expansion and contraction.Grout will expand and contract to a point and this point is higher than the tile itself.If there is a large area to be done we install expansion joints (or soft joints) in the installation.This allows a greater amount of expansion to be handled in an overall than the grout itself could handle.

Now, as for filling joints to a preffered depth.
Depth is relevent to a couple things.
#1 tile profile
#2 personal taste.
Tile generally has a slight cushioned edge.The grout should fill the joint to the bottom of this cushion and or slighlty above(never ever below) Some tile has no cushioned edge and these should be filled flush.Now, in order to keep them flush while cleanng ,one needs to allow the grout to Tighten up.This will keep your joints full while allowing the slight concave look you want.

Now basically, i just said everything the esteemed moderator said but clarified it a bit more.Thats because tileguys never have anyone to talk to and the other tradesmen avoid us cause we are generally surly

Old 01-19-03, 10:13 AM
"Surly" and always "underfoot".

Old 01-20-03, 09:47 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
My absolut favorite line.
Either you leave or i leave!! and if i leave,you get to explain to the super why he gets to punch out 2 weeks late!!
Works everytime!!