Tile Disposal

Old 01-18-03, 10:43 PM
DanS
Visiting Guest
Tile Disposal

We will be tearing out a couple hundred square feet of tile in the next couple of weeks and I've been scratching my head trying to guess how big of a dumpster we'll need. I can get a 19'x7'x2' for $400 for four days or get a UHaul trailer for x number of trips to the dump for quite a bit less. The draw back to the trailer is wasted time traveling and dumping, but for one or two trips it would be worth it.

Anyway, is there a good rule for how much room broken tile takes up?

(BTW, the tile is 12x12 if that matters.)

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-03, 05:36 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
200 s/f of tile will weigh in around 800-1000#'s with some thinset attached. A shortbox pickup truck with 1 trip would be sufficient.If you saw out the floor down to the subfloor,you can take most of your floor out in pieces.If you are removing tile from concrete a demolition hammer will be handy.

To remove tile, subfloor and all is the fastest most efficient method.
Reove tile around edges and use a toe kick saw to cut through .Use a skill saw to cut into sections and a large crow bar to pry up.many times 4x6' sections can be removed this way with very little mess and way less dust and general destruction.Replace your subfloor with new plywood.

Old 01-19-03, 08:51 AM
DanS
Visiting Guest
Thanks

You don't know how many times over the past month I've wished for a plywood subfloor! Unfortunatly (in this case) we are working on our first floor concrete slab.

Thank you for the info. We have a friend with a full sized Dodge so we were thinking the height of a trailer would be nice, besides we would be scratching up a rental instead of his bed (although that isn't a huge concern to him).

Dan

Old 01-20-03, 10:49 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Try putting a cheap tarp in the bed followed by a piece of plywood ,osb or whatever is handy to protect the bed.Fill it and fold in the tarp to cover. throw a couple boards on top to hold the tarp down and away you go. cleaning up the truck is easy and no scratches!!