cracked marble

Old 01-19-03, 05:27 AM
ameyer
Visiting Guest
cracked marble

Does anyone know if there is some kind of epoxy or something to repair a crack in a piece of marble? The marble is over my fireplace and is about 12 wide, it has a verticle crack going through it all the way. I don't expect it to be perfect if I can repair it but I cannot replace the marble without taking off the fireplace surround and also replacing all the marble so it will match. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-03, 10:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I know of no way to repair the crack so that the marble would appear as it did before the crack. Keep in mind that marble is a natural product and cracks are always there in marble no matter what. When they open up they may seem unsightly but it just (in some cases) adds to the beauty of the stone. Grout it. How big is this crack anyway?

Old 01-19-03, 11:47 AM
ameyer
Visiting Guest
The crack is about 1/6 wide. it was caused by the angle iron flexing that is over the firebox when the fireplace was new years ago. On the first fire that was made in it. I don't expect it to be perfect ever again unless I replace it. i talked to someone in the tile and stone business a while back about it. They said they made something to repair it and he could add some color to it to make it match the veins in the exsisting marble. Problem is i don't rembember who it was. It was at a home show if I remember correctly.

Old 01-19-03, 01:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm sure there are people barking the benefits of using their products to repair cracked stones and there are in fact epoxies that will bond the stone but in my mind repairing this crack to the point that it becomes invisible just doesn't exist in my imagination.

If someone with a guaranteed method were to come forward we could both learn something on the subject but until then it just doesn't stand to reason to me.

There are a couple of good Stone Forums on the Internet that may be helpfull but even those names escape me right now. It will come to me though.

Oh I know... a good friend of mine in Northern California has a great resource website that will have the names of all those sites. If you were to search for "Dave Spreen Flooring Resources" then look around there that's where you'll find them.

Dave also offers a very active Forum go there and ask.

Old 01-20-03, 09:28 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Try Quartz dust,White wall grout and weldbond glue mixed to a toothpast consistancy.apply with a float and sponge clean.If your quartz dust has some fine chips in it you will retain a bit of sparkle from the joint.
Note: other colors of wall grout can be substituted to better blend withyour particular marble.The quartz is the key to make it blend in better.

Old 01-21-03, 02:58 PM
ameyer
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply I will try that. Someone else told me something like that to use some marbe dust and epoxy.Thanks again

Old 01-21-03, 04:17 PM
Hi
It may be a lot easier to just get some color matching latex caulk an fill the joint. You can wash off any extra off the marble without damaging anything.