Price per square foot High, low or average ?

Old 01-19-03, 12:09 PM
E
eman2548
Visiting Guest
Price per square foot High, low or average ?

I've recently purchased tiles, mortar, etc for installing ceramic in my kitchen and bathroom floors. Now I'm taking bids for installing the ceramic tile. I've gotten two estimates thus far and both have given references which have checked out OK. The best offer thus far is $2.50/sq. ft . This is my first experience with ceramic and I want it done right, but I'd like to procede knowing that I'm am paying a fair and not an unjust amount for the installation. I reside in southeastern Louisiana and our home is on a concrete slab and is about 7 years old. The current flooring is vinyl in the kitchen and one bathroom and carpet in the other bath and the installer is removing it all, but at a separate cost from the installation. I don't know how the cost of installation of ceramic varies state to state, but if anyone has any opinions on whether the price of $2.50 per sq. ft seems high or low, I would like to hear them.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-03, 12:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
eman,

You've left out the most important factor in determining installation cost. HOW MUCH TILE???

I am familiar with prices nationally and can tell you that since you are furnishing everything...the $2.50 is a fair price. I wouldn't do it for that amount personally but hey we're talking Lousisana here.

This doesn't assure quality of workmanship though. Why not ask this installer for some references then check them out, go see his work, talk to any local retailers he may work for on a regular basis. Cover your butt my friend.

Old 01-19-03, 04:26 PM
E
eman2548
Visiting Guest
price per square foot

Bud,

Thanks for your response. I knew I was forgetting something. I have the estimates of how much tiling is involved at the house. Unfortuntely I'm at work this evening, but a ballpark estimate is about 400 sqare feet of tile to put down. I hope this helps in answering my question. As for references I have checked out his previous jobs and have seen his work and received positive feedback from his customers. You mentioned in your response that "you" wouldn't do a job for $2.50/ sq ft. Are you saying you would charge more than that for installing ceramic ?

Old 01-19-03, 04:53 PM
A
Hi
It would depend on what kind of business the installer is in. If he works out of his house and has a helper..sure $2.50 a ft is good for a few days work. But if you have a shop and and crew and a few trucks on the road, and someone in the office answering the phone....that $2.50 a foot gets eaten up pretty fast. Not that one guy would do a better job than the other...it just costs more to operate.

Old 01-19-03, 08:30 PM
400 ft2 would be an average for a job such as yours and is exactly the amount I assumed but it was nothing more than a guess on my part.

And yes I would charge more but that's me. I have worked hard to develope my little niche trade here and I charge a little more than the average guy in this area. I do this because I don't/won't race through any job in an effort to make a reasonable living. These jobs can take some time if no short cuts are taken.

The big thing is I have developed a reputation for being able to deliver each and every job on time and on money and that's very important to my local high-end builders and retailers.

Old 01-20-03, 09:45 AM
T
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Bud and I Run similar operations with the exception I run with a helper and have to do a few more jobs a year than him to make the same amount.
2.50 over concrete is a very good price if you are comfortable with the installer.
400 s/f one room? cut up with hallways pantry's?? There are alot of factors to determine.
How is the concrete.is it perfectly level? What size is the tile?6x6 more expensive. 12x12 less expensive. 16x16 or larger, more expensive again.
I am quite sure my best price for this job would be 1400.00 depending on tile,pattern etc.For intricate patterned work it could be as high as 3000.00.
Variables are many so the days of giving a per s/f price are virtually gone!!A tileman that has been around for any length of time knows better than to quote a s/f price before seeing a job.The industry has changed and with the changes made come adaptations by installers.
I personally have done my last job where when i get there the 300 s/f is 4x4 tumbled marble individual tiles with riverstone borders running down 2 seperate halls into entryway pantry and parlor.2 days work just became 6 days work!! I hope this clears things up for some people as to the need to look at jobs!!

Old 01-20-03, 09:59 PM
E
eman2548
Visiting Guest
more details

Here's a few more details about my project that I left out in the original post. It's 400 sq feet between the kitchen and two bathrooms. The kitchen is the largest room of the three rooms. The tile is 13x13 in all rooms and no special patterns are requested. The floor beneath is concrete and is only about 6 years old, so chances are its in pretty good shape. The installer is charging $2.50 per sq foot to install the tile. I beleive he's charging $1.50 per square foot to pull up thr old flooring materials. (vinyl in the kitchen and tiny hall bath and carpeting in the master bath. I hope this clears up the loose ends.

Old 01-21-03, 05:07 AM
I think you're getting a fare shake all around.

Old 01-21-03, 09:54 AM
T
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
You should be very very happy
Good price and you have referances. Your good to go. My advice
Get him scheduled!!!!