Diagonal Ceramic Tile with Border questions

Old 01-20-03, 08:28 AM
jacksan
Visiting Guest
Question Diagonal Ceramic Tile with Border questions

I've been through many books and web sites but couldn't find details on how best to do a layout with a border.

For discussion purposes I'll be laying 18" tile on diagonal with a full-tile border (same tile). This will be in a 20'x20' sunroom that has a closet bump-out in one corner and a walk-through to the kitchen (already tiled).

A couple layout preference questions:
1) Should I lay a full-tile border first and then do the diagonals? Doing the border first essentially gives me a "new" wall line to lay the diagonals up to. All the cutting-to-fit would then be on the diagonal tiles.
2) Or...Should I do the diagonals first and even perhaps (?) make them end with nice neat tiles where they meet the border? The borders would each then be trimmed to fit against the wall. What concerns me with this option is that the borders along the ends of the room will be of different width than the borders along the sides of the rooms.

A couple border questions:
1) Do I start by placing a full square border tile (would not be a true full square tile for option #2 above) at each inside and outside corner?
2) None of the walls are of an even full-tile increment so there will be a "short" border tile somewhere along each wall. Where do I place my "short" border piece? .next to the corner pieces, or, in the center of each border run??

Thanks for any help and comments. Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-03, 09:41 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
How about keeping your border out away from the wall and finishing with the same tile as your diagonal.
Set your border up say 18-24" in from all walls.center and lay out to full tiles.(make sure this border is squared up. Now do a layout for the entire room on a 45 degree angle.Your tiles within the border and outside the border will all be at 45 degrees and all grout lines will match up. the only square lines and tiles within the room will be your border.The room will have furniture in it? If so keep that border out in the area it will be seen

Old 01-20-03, 10:14 AM
jacksan
Visiting Guest
Sounds like that would give a real nice look. It would take 3 times as many diagonal cuts though. Since my border is going to be the exact same tile as the field tile (don't have the $$ for a fancy border tile) do you think the extra work would be worth it?

Borders: Do I place a full 'square' tile at each border corner rather than having a couple shorties at the corners? If so, where does the short border pieces go... right next to the full corner pieces, or in the center of each border run?

thx, Jack

Old 01-20-03, 10:33 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Keep your border tiles Full.
Its a great look and worth the extra effort.
You room is not that large and while you will be making more diagonal cuts,you will be rewarded withan outstanding look that anyone would be proud of.Also. If you snap Grid lines. You can do all of your cuts before you even set trowel to floor.Just be certain to double check all your grid lines.And then trust those lines!!!

Old 01-20-03, 10:46 AM
jacksan
Visiting Guest
I put together a sketch right away (the joy of AutoCAD).

You would opt for keeping the border tiles full rather than having the inner diagonals end in exact half tiles, correct?

Old 01-20-03, 10:50 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Correct!!

Old 01-20-03, 11:45 AM
jacksan
Visiting Guest
How's this for the border layout?:
http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/tile_border.htm

There's a good amount of variation in the width of the outer diagonals, any suggestions?

thx, Jack

Old 01-20-03, 05:58 PM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Sorry, your link didnt work.

Old 01-20-03, 06:29 PM
jacksan
Visiting Guest
It should work...you may have to copy/paste the url. (??)
home.cinci.rr.com/creek/tile_border.htm

I've done a sketch using the same 18" tile as the border. But since its also available as a 12 " tile I have a second sketch using them in the border. It comes out a little more 'even' using the 12".

Thoughts?

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/tile_border.htm

Old 01-20-03, 07:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jacksan,

I get "Page Cannot Be Found".

Old 01-20-03, 08:58 PM
jacksan
Visiting Guest
very odd...I've removed the underscore from the page name, don't know what else it can be.?? Note, there is no www.

Try: home.cinci.rr.com/creek/tileborder.htm

Old 01-21-03, 11:10 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Looks great.
Your link worked that time!!

Old 01-21-03, 05:15 PM
jacksan
Visiting Guest
Moving the border away from the wall will mean about 100 more diagonal cuts...argh. I put a total of 3 sketches on the web site and am looking for any comments and opinions.

home.cinci.rr.com/creek/tileborder.htm

Thx

Old 01-21-03, 06:55 PM
jacksan,

That's pretty funny....I was here a minute ago and then tried your diagrams again (it worked for me too this time by the way) as I viewed your second option, I said to myself "boy is that ever going to be labor intensive".

I then returned here to mention that fact to you and there you were. I see you know that already.

Too tell you the truth...any of your suggestions would be great and look super but if your taking a poll I vote for layout number one.

That's done a lot around here and it solves a lot of layout problems too. Everything can look the same visually and you will get an "A" for composition from everyone that views your floor.

Old 01-21-03, 09:19 PM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
I did a 1000 s/f + job like your layout awhile back. You would be surprised how quickly the diagonals go after the first 20 or 30

Old 01-22-03, 06:15 AM
Diagonal installations only take slightly more time than a straight-lay job. And if your cutting a straight-lay inside a border on all four sides then there is no difference.

Diagonal is merely a skewed staright-lay job anyway.

Old 01-22-03, 07:25 AM
jacksan
Visiting Guest
I guess it's not being diagonal that has me concerned so much as that by moving the border out away from the wall I more than double the number of cuts (which happen to be diagonal) I have to make.

The other two questions I have are a matter of appearance:
- If the border is out away from the wall... should I use the exact same 18" tiles for it or should I use the 12" tiles that are also available?
- Same question if I keep the border against the wall...should I use the 12" or 18" tile for the border?

I now have all four options posted for your critique:
home.cinci.rr.com/creek/tileborder.htm

Thanks for your feedback,
Jack

Old 01-22-03, 05:37 PM
jacksan,

This is a decision only you can make.

If you were to tile then border then tile things start getting pretty busy. Is this the look you really want. And as you say: it's a lotta work.

How about a full tile perimeter border, then a smaller 4"-6" border, then your field tile in the center? The 4"-6" border can be cut from the larger tiles.