How to repair a leaking shower stall?

Old 01-21-03, 11:53 PM
T
tskoglund
Visiting Guest
How to repair a leaking shower stall?

I just discoverd that my tiled shower (~50 yrs old, but in good looking condition) has been leaking and moisture is showing up at slab floor level on the opposite side of the interior wall (e.g. damp carpet pad and wet, rotting tack strips). Shower is on 1st floor of slab-on-grade and I'm confident it's not a leaking drain.

What's the best way to solve this problem? Is there a reliable way to do it without taking up the shower tile? Thanks in advance. (I also posted this question on the Pluming repair forum)

Last edited by tskoglund; 01-22-03 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-03, 05:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Is there a reliable way to do it without taking up the shower tile? "

No...not really. But I don't know how your shower receptor is built either. To tell you the truth if this shower has served for fifty years, it could well be time to have it redone.

The late model showers using vinyl shower pans buried in concrete (by late model I mean about thirty years old or newer) have not shown how long they last but the older showers; those made with lead, copper, etc., pans before vinyl was available are failing from age.

Have a local Pro do an inspection for you.

Old 01-22-03, 06:01 AM
T
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Like Bud, I would say your Pan is failing.At 50 years old your shower is probobly mudset and will be a job to Demo.
An Inspection is certainly a good first step!!!