Underlayment for ceramic

Old 01-22-03, 10:46 AM
griffey
Visiting Guest
Underlayment for ceramic

Looking to install ceramic tile in my bathroom. I have a question regarding the underlayment needed for the tile as well as structurally. Currently I have linoleum(1/8"), underlayment(1/4"), linoleum(1/8") with adhesive to subfloor(5/8") and plywood flooring(5/8").

How much of the above can I remove?? And what is needed to put back in for ceramic installation. I can not afford to be any thicker than the above thickness.

Can the subflooring be removed and dura rock/cement board(1/2") be put in place as the underlayment for hte ceramic??? Look forward some advice - quickly. THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-03, 05:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Quickly huh"???

Remove everything that wasn't there the day the house was built...saving the original subfloor of course.

Then start over. Your subfloor should be not less than 1-1/8" thick before it sees any tile. This is achieved with a combination of plywood materials, then the cement board.

But listen closely. Cement board (none of them) offer any structural value what-so-ever. None.

They are merely a platform and a tooth for the tile installation. And there are proper methods to be followed for even their installation.

All of this doesn't begin to address your structural values and that's another chapter.

So don't get in too big of a hurry if you're looking to install a lasting job.

If I where you I would slow down and go buy a book.