underlayment for tile in bedroom

Old 01-22-03, 04:16 PM
alorenec
Visiting Guest
Question underlayment for tile in bedroom

I just moved into a 1970s house and want to lay ceramic tile in the bedroom.

The current floor is industrial 70s tile, which already has several tiles missing and the rest are easy to remove.
Under the tile is some sort of black, rubbery pad. From what I can see, under the pad is concrete.

I can easily remove the exsisting tile. I don't know about the rubbery pad because it is glued to the concrete.

I have read other posts about underlayments, but they all seem to relate to bathrooms and a sub-floor of plywood.
My question is:
Can I just remove the exsisting tile and place the new ceramic tile over the rubbery pad, or should I lay a backerboard or cementboard over the rubbery pad? Or do I need to remove the pad all together and start with the concrete floor?

Please help. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-03, 04:57 PM
Jim Schnasa
Visiting Guest
You need to remove the pad also. I would recemend sanding all the glue off the floor so you have a nice clean floor to start with.
Have fun!

Old 01-22-03, 06:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's right!!

I think what you may have there is someones feeble attempt at installing some type of isolation material to prevent the conrete slab cracks (if any) from transmitting themselves through the tile job.

As you can see the tile isn't staying put so why deal with the problem any longer. It certainly won't enhance your new tile job.

Remove the "stuff" with a 4" razor blade scraper and some elbow grease and we'll get going on the new project.

Oh....and no you can't cover it either. Sorry!

Old 01-23-03, 08:38 AM
alorenec
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help!....

After removing the pad, should I put down cement or backer board before I lay the tile?

Old 01-23-03, 02:29 PM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
If your concrete is not in good shape or is out of level has lots of valleys etc.You may want to consdier a Self Leveling Cement for your area. HD carries Levelquick by custum.use the primer and follow instructions!!!!

Old 01-23-03, 03:52 PM
alorenec
Visiting Guest
Question

So, I don't need a cement/backer board. Just to remove the pad and level out the cement and lay the tile over that?

Thanks for your help

Old 01-23-03, 04:11 PM
Jim Schnasa
Visiting Guest
Thats right no backer board on concrete. Just clean it, level it, and install your tile. have fun!

Old 01-23-03, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yea......forget the backer board on the concrete, there is no real feasible way of doing it without creating even more trouble for yourself. It just doesn't work.