Tile subflooring

Old 01-23-03, 11:11 AM
airnasvile
Visiting Guest
Tile subflooring

I have decided to replace carpet in my bath with tile. The house is 4 years old and has the "engineered" subflooring as opossed to plywood. A book I read said that I would have to pull in up and replace it with plywood. Please tell me I don't have too. Can I go it with plywood and cement board?

Old 01-23-03, 01:27 PM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Add 1 layer 1/4" birch plywood minimum + 1 layer 1/4" CBU.
This is assuming your joist structure conforms to the l/360 load range required for a tile installation.

Old 01-23-03, 03:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What the heck is "engineered" subflooring? Engineered subflooring has always been plywood in my thinking.

If it is particle board or OSB then it is not engineered subflooring in my learning but I wouldn't swear to it these days.

Are you talking about engineered floor joists of the plywood/I-Beam variety?

And.....what book are you reading?

If your floor joists are in fact "I-Joists" that are 19.2" on center then we need to know the sizing of the joists and how much subfloor (thickness) you have now.

If your floor joists are not less than 2" X 10" and not less than 16" on center then Todd has you on the road to a new tile floor.

Old 01-23-03, 05:16 PM
airnasvile
Visiting Guest
Tile and subfloor

Thank you both for your help. In answer to Bud's questions, the book was Home Depots 1-2-3 Tiling. I just crawed under the house and the joists are 24" on center. The subflooring was not very well marked. It is either partical board or OSB. The roof decking is OSB (yes I was in the attic too). The only maring on the floor boards that indicated a thickness was 23/32.

Old 01-23-03, 06:16 PM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Bud ,Think Advantek (OSB)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: