Ceramic over vinyl floor

Old 01-26-03, 01:32 PM
eman2548
Visiting Guest
Ceramic over vinyl floor

I've searched this topic and the consensus seems to be pull up the vinyl floor. Nevertheless, I'm going to ask anyway. When it's your money and home on the line you want to be sure. My home is 8 years old. It has a concrete slab and rolled vinyl in the kitchen and hall bath. The installer came out to our home for an estimate and told us we would not have to pull up the current vinyl floor. He could tile right over it. He would pull up the flooring if we elected to, but he tells us he usually doesn't unless the flooring is in poor condidition, which ours is not. He went on to say some of the ceramic dealers suggest pulling up vinyl regardless of condition because it allows them to make a little extra on the installation. I've decided to have him pull up the vinyl in both rooms, which isabout 375 sq ft. He's going to charge us .50 per sqft to pull it all up. My first question is - is there any truth to what he's saying about some tile dealers ? Secondly, is .50 per sqft an acceptable charge for a consumer to pay for pulling up a vinyl floor ?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-03, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic over vinyl

Installing ceramic over vinyl is a do-at-your-own risk project according to many tile professionals. It is especially not recommended if vinyl is cushioned backed or if vinyl has been perimeter glued. Any movement beneath ceramic will tend to result in grout failure and possibly cracked tiles. Some professionals warn against installing ceramic over vinyl because of its slick surface, which, if not properly prepared, can result in adhesion problems.

If the vinyl is over a concrete slab, however, and it isn't possible to remove it (such as in a case where vinyl may contain asbestos), you may tile directly over it using one of the super modified thinset mortars made for this kind of application. Vinyl must be thoroughly clean and scarified to assure adhesion. As your home is only 8 years old, there should be no concerns about asbestos.

Costs of labor and materials tend to vary from area to area. You should get at least 3 bids and references and go see some of the work done by the tile setter.

Old 01-27-03, 02:56 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Remove it!! 50 cents a s/f is a bargain, wait till you see the work involved if its stuck good. The installer could get lucky and it will come up fairly easy. but murphys law generally prevails. In other words,If his schedule is tight it will inevitably be a bear!!

Old 01-27-03, 03:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove it!

But first get his quote to remove it in writing and get HIS signature also before he starts. Fifty cents is too good to pass up.

PS...Asbestos isn't an issue in this case I'm sure and over concrete doesn't matter-it can be removed.