granite tiles

Old 01-26-03, 07:21 PM
mebill
Visiting Guest
Question granite tiles

Hi,

We recently bought a home and are remodeling. The problem concerns the foyer. The current flooring is full brick laid on the slab. We would like to lay granite tiles over the brick (12x12 or 18x18 tiles). The problem comes in because the brick floor is sloped up to 2" in some areas.

We are considering using the self leveling concrete to level the floor then laying the granite tiles over the new level.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-03, 02:53 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Yes i have a suggestion, Get a demolition hammer, knock out the Brick and do a proper Mudbed with Drypack.This will give you a much more stable job in the end and you can bring it to any height you wish (1 1/4" Minimum on the dry pack)

Old 01-27-03, 06:50 AM
mebill
Visiting Guest
options

I agree that this would be the most correct way to solve the problem. However, taking up the current brick floor is not an option. The brick is about 5" thick and time does not allow that kind of demolition.

Any other suggestions?

Old 01-27-03, 09:29 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
A demolition hammer will remove that brick in no time at all. there is no reason that demo and float in even a fairly large entryway could not be completed in a day with 2 people.A Self leveling Cement Product like Levelquick will provide you with a level floor.It will cost more and take the same amount of time considering dry time.Its a second best method And you will need to have a minimum 1/4" above the highest point. Be sure to use the primer with the SLC if you go this route.Good Luck!!

Old 01-27-03, 03:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm afraid I must agree with Todd. We are two guys that have seen all this stuff and done all this stuff for years and wouldn't lead you down a wrong path.

To cover the brick in my thinking is simply the path of least resistance in the eyes of a DIY'er and I can tell you taking that path when it comes to tile work (especially natural stone tiles) is the same path that leads you to the Poor House.

If time doesn't allow the job to be done properly to begin with then where will the time come from to do the job the correct way next time around when this one fails?

More than likely those brick are loose layed anyway and time has locked them in place. Loosen up two or three of them and they may all just pick right up. If there is mortar between them it's still no big deal, they will seperate easily once you have it started.