Porcelin Tile

Old 02-05-03, 08:24 PM
bluerus
Visiting Guest
Porcelin Tile

Hello. Can anyone direct me to installations instructions for Porcelin tile. I just bought 5K worth of the stuff from Expo (home depot's other store). There aren't able to give me any data since I'm not using their installers. I putting this in new construction with a raised foundation, wood subfloor. I would like to make sure the man I hired to install it is doing it correctly. I would really appreciate the data. I paid $3.30/sq. ft. and I overbought by 20% in case extra was needed. I bought enough for ~1500 sq ft. Thanks.

Debbie

Old 02-06-03, 05:30 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
I dont understand, Did you hire someone you dont trust??
Did you get referances?

Porcelain requires a top quality modified thinset for a setting bed.
The installer should be using a concrete board underlayment,a concrete mudbed or a self leveling type cement.Another possibility is an uncoupling membrane called schluter Ditra.
Perhaps you can tell us what he is going to do and we can advise you.

Old 02-06-03, 05:58 PM
bluerus
Visiting Guest
Porcelin flooring installation.

Well, I hired a guy that seems to know what he's doing so far, but I always check out how things are suppose to be done, then ask him how he's going do something and see if it matches what I read here at DIY wonderful forums. For example, I printed out "how to stucco", then I asked him "how do you stucco a house"?. So far so good, but this floor was very expensive and there isn't a way to easily correct a mistake if one is made. I was reading a 1996 Black & Decker book on Flooring Projects, but I would prefer more up to date info. I will email what this guys says. Thank You.

Debbie

Old 02-06-03, 06:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Todd has said all that is necessary. Check your installers references (two or three) and if he checks out then get out of there and let him do his work.

After almost three decades in this business and if I were quoting your job I would charge you $4 per square foot to install your tile.

If you are there all the time watching me and asking questions and stay out of my way all the way through the job, I would charge you $5 per square foot.

If you offer suggestions the price would go to $5.50 per square foot.

If you would try to help me the price would jump to $8 per square foot.

Get my drift?

Old 02-06-03, 07:13 PM
bluerus
Visiting Guest
Bud,

Your a hard man! I was staying out of the way, until the first contractor I hired tried to tell me that mildew was OK for my medically handicapped son. Well, after firing him, I feel that I do have to watch everything like a hawk. I'm a girl, what do you expect....ha ha
Thanks for your input...

Old 02-06-03, 09:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deb,

It was a joke! ha!

Mildew is never OK, and that's no joke.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: