how do i put 4" tiles on a kitchen wall

Old 02-09-03, 07:26 AM
wayneparrott
Visiting Guest
Question how do i put 4" tiles on a kitchen wall

I have already purchased 4" tiles,ker800 grout, and 1/32" spacers.Is this all I need? Where do I start?

Old 02-09-03, 09:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We-l-l-l-l......your gonna need some adhesive,

and return the spacers and get your money back you won't need them.

Use that money to buy a trowel to apply the adhesive.

Oh and a few more things. You need a plan. Figure out what you are going to do and get a layout in mind then test it on the wall by drawing out some lines.

Are there outlets or switches to cut around?

Is there a window to deal with?

Are you using any listellos or ropes or stix and if so where will they meet any outlets or switches?

Do you have a way to terminate any surface tile (bullnose, metal edging, etc.)?

Is there paint or wallpaper? Have you scuffed the paint or removed the wallpaper (including all adhesive residue)?

Do you have caulk for the countertop/tile juncture?

Old 02-09-03, 08:23 PM
wayneparrott
Visiting Guest
Question

what type of adhesive do i need for 4 inch tiles on a kicthen wall?Why do i not need spacers for the tile? Does the paint have to be off the wall? Do you have any more advice for me?

Old 02-10-03, 01:26 PM
If, when you say "four inch tiles" you in fact mean 4-1/4" standard wall tiles, then these tiles already have lugs on all four sides.

Normally these "lugs" are used for holding the proper spacing with those tiles. This doesn't mean of course that you have to do it like that but most people do.

If this is the style tile you have then when you do install the tiles don't cram every tile against one another just because those little lugs are there either.

The tiles won't all be perfect and once you start cramming and a weird tile shows up and throws you off course then your screwed. So leave yourself a fraction of an inch for breathing room but you won't need the spacers. Spacers are a gimmic developed by people that sit around developing gimmics to sell to unsuspecting soles that are likely to buy gimmicks.

If these tiles won't be getting wet on a regular basis then you can use wall tile mastic. If they are likely to be getting wet routinely then you should use thinset mortar.

The paint? Well now that's another issue. It would be better if it wasn't there but since it is, just scuff it with some sandpaper and go-for-it.

So now I'm curious to know what tiles you have, what size are they really?

Old 02-10-03, 02:31 PM
wayneparrott
Visiting Guest
Yes, they are 4-1/4" tiles. Should I take back the ker800 grout? Thanks for your help!

Old 02-10-03, 02:39 PM
I don't know what Kerr 800 is but if it's Mapei grout then it's a good product. Just get rid of them damned spacers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: