tile on top of plywood?

Old 02-10-03, 09:56 AM
chadt
Visiting Guest
tile on top of plywood?

True or False:

You can install ceramic tile on a subfloor if you use isolation membrane between the two?

I have heard conflicting reports that you can install tile on plywood.

My problem is that with a 3/4 inch plywood subfloor, if i put tile board underneath, that my tile wil lbe above my carpet. Unless they make backerboard that is 1/4 inch thick..

Also, what is the procedure for installing tile on a new subfloor?

Old 02-10-03, 12:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
They do make 1/4" tile backer and you should use it. If your tile stands taller than your carpet you wouldn't be the first person faced with this issue.

There are also minimums for the structural ability of your floor to handle tile. If you think your tile is going to be too tall now wait till you see the minimums. Not all floors are suitable for tile but most can be easily made so.

Wanna talk about it or just blaze on?

Old 02-10-03, 01:05 PM
chadt
Visiting Guest
Bud,

Just to be safe, i will put 1/4" on. ITs in a bathroom, so i do not want to take any chances of the floor cracking the tile.

I did read up on the thickness, and I put 3/4" plywood down with a half inch gap around the edges for expansion.

I guess i never really could find anything on all of the steps from step one to grouting. Everything in-between though.

MY only problem is when do i apply the isolation membrane? ont the backerboard? or on the plywood?

Here is my plan if the the IM goes on the plywood: If someone can fill in the blanks, that would be great....

1. apply the a certain type of _______membrane to the plywood
2. apply backerboard with ________ to stick to the plywood
3. Apply tiles with __________
4. Apply ________grout to tiles

I think that is my plan, I hope that i can get the right kind of bonding material for it thought.....

Old 02-10-03, 01:50 PM
Wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute, somebodies all confused here and I think it's me.

Here's the deal. You don't say how big this room is if you did I missed it. Your floor should be made of not less than 2" X 10" floor joists spaced not more than 16" apart.

Then on top of this you should have not less than 1-1/8 of subfloor.

For example this could be 3/4" ply plus 3/8" ply then your cement board. I know I know, that's getting you too high but I gotta tell ya what the spec's are. What you do is up to you but if you don't want your tile cracking then you should follow the TCA Specifications/Recommendations.

Now your being misled somewhere with that membrane stuff. First of all membranes are for concrete floors usually. All the membrane in the world won't stop your tile from cracking if your floor is deflecting. This is the key, STIFFEN YOUR FLOOR.

Now let's get your reaction and we can continue.

Old 02-10-03, 01:55 PM
chadt
Visiting Guest
ok ok, I think i did not mention that I had: 5/8 inch boards with 3/4" plywood on top of that sitting in 2x10's 16 on center. that is where i am at. The Bathroom is only 5x8 and the tile will be in a 5x5 spot seeing the tup takes up 3x5.

So I should forget about the membrane? I think i read that on a hometime listing somwhere.....

I hope that clarifies everything?

Old 02-10-03, 02:04 PM
OK now we're getting somewhere.

Install the 1/4" cement board in a bed of thinset and screw it or nail it as directed by the manufacturer. Install your tile. Use a quality modified thinset.

Throw the membrane thing out the window you don't need it. Oh and never mention Hometime again. (kidding kidding)

I pissed ole Dean off here about two years ago at a local home show. I had questions he couldn't answer and he got mad and started turning colors. Around here they are known as Mr. Dean and ole Huff 'n' Puff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: