Trying to match old 8x8 ceramic tiles (UNO Made in Italy)

Old 07-07-05, 07:55 PM
indatropix
Visiting Guest
Question Trying to match old 8x8 ceramic tiles (UNO Made in Italy)

I am doing a small remodel where we need to replace about thirty (30) 8x8 ceramic tiles. The color is off-white, perhaps almond or beige.
I have been searching the internet high and low and have made numerous phone calls to the mainland looking for this older sized tile. Everyone tells me, "That's an older tile and we don't carry it anymore." or "You will have to match the color to a 12x12 and cut the tile to 8x8 yourself."
Anyone have any suggestions on how to find the 8x8 tiles? There has to be some in a warehouse somewhere (I hope).
Please don't suggest to replace the entire flooring as the square footage is cost prohibitive to the homeowner at this time.
Here is the info I have from the back of one of the tiles I popped up:
UNO Made in Italy
MONO COTTURA (Single Firing)
MONOCUISSON
EINBRAND
3 (and) 85 (I don't know if this might be color codes or what.)
Mahalo!

Last edited by twelvepole; 07-08-05 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Signatures containing business names, links, advertising, or contact information not allowed in forums
Old 07-08-05, 09:02 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Trying to locate discontinued tiles is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Take one of the old tiles with you to try to find a comparable match that can be cut down to size.

Old 07-08-05, 12:44 PM
indatropix
Visiting Guest
Red face Sadly, I walk away with my head down and tail between my legs...

I didn't want to hear that answer either.
I would much rather be the knight in shining armor than just another guy with a hacksaw
I will heed your advice and attempt to match this outdated tile and have it professionally cut (remember, I am a carpenter).
Thank you very much for your honesty and for your promptness.
Mahalo!

Old 07-08-05, 02:38 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are these glazed ceramic?, if so, cutting them from larger tile isn't an option, they will not have the finished edge after cutting and not match, don't go that route.

Old 07-08-05, 03:17 PM
indatropix
Visiting Guest
Yes, they are ceramic which is why I don't like the idea of cutting them.

Yes, they are ceramic which is why I don't like the idea of cutting them.
They are single-fired (when they glaze the tiles before firing; therefore only requiring one firing instead of two).
I am concerned about the edges not having the slight bevel curve on the cut sides.
Personally, I would recommend to replace all the old 8x8 tiles, but the area is too large to consider that cost at this time.
I have started to remove a small area of tiles in another section in attempt to salvage enough to put them in the required area, but I am 1 for 8 in getting a good tile. They are set on a concrete floor and most chip or crack when I remove them.
I am being as resourceful as possible.
But, where can we find these old tiles? We've exhausted our resources.

Old 07-08-05, 04:47 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You might find the following article an interesting and inspiring read: http://www.oldhousejournal.com/magaz...storical.shtml

Old 07-14-05, 07:43 PM
indatropix
Visiting Guest
This Old House article applies more to older tiles.

Thank you for the referral link.
We checked it out, but it seems more applicable to older tiles, not the 8x8's which are more of an 80's style.
We do appreciate the suggestion.
Meanwhile, we haven't even located a larger tile that matches the almond/beige color well enough so we're contemplating to suggest to the home owner to replace the kitchen tiled area since the kitchen is being remodeled and it doesn't appear to be cost effective to find these darn 8x8's.
Back to the grind....

Old 07-24-05, 03:31 AM
indatropix
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb A New Option to Salvaging some 8x8's

Good News (I think).
The homeowner is adding a bathroom remodel and there are 8x8 tiles on the wall.
I am hoping to salvage additional 8x8's from the wall board.
If anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to approach this type of salvage, I'm all ears.
We are about two weeks out on the bathroom tear out so I've bought myself some time.
Thanks again!

Old 07-25-05, 11:35 AM
gwataloo
Visiting Guest
If there willing to remodel now. I would suggeset the floor to. To me replacing 30 tiles in a bathroom is alot of tiles. I think there is some movement in the floor to cause that many tiles to be replaced. If they are dead set on not replacing the floor. What is the tile on the walls on , durock ,sheetrock. And what is it set with , mastic or thinset.

Old 07-25-05, 05:35 PM
indatropix
Visiting Guest
Salvaging 8x8's on floor, not wall. Sorry :~(

Sorry about that...I will be (hopefully) salvaging additional 8x8 inch tiles off the bathroom floor, not the bathroom wall.
With my 1 for 8 success rate, I should have enough good 8x8's to use in the kitchen area as originally needed.

As to whether they're willing to replace the floor too, they are not at this time due to the size of the area (1,000+ sq ft.) involved. It is a bottom floor that is entirely tiled with these darn outdated 8x8's. I swear they had a ship load of them back in the 80's and gave them away, because I keep encountering them and they are near impossible to find/match.

It also doesn't help that many manufacturers have gone out of business since then or been bought out once, twice or more times making it like "finding a needle in a haystack" to locate.

Old 09-19-09, 02:25 PM
P
Smile ever find those uno monocottura tiles?

i see you were in the same predicament I find myself in today.

'd you ever find those uno monocottura tiles (8x8)?

man, I wish I could find about 10 of them so I can do this simple regrout of my bathroom

Old 02-03-11, 08:14 PM
T
Same situation

I, too, have been trying to hunt down 2 of these 8X8 tiles in a white/ecru color - same kind:
UNO Made in Italy
MONO COTTURA (Single Firing)
MONOCUISSON
EINBRAND
3 (and) 84 (that number is different than the one in this thread)
We knocked out a linen closet to enlarge the bathroom and need 8 of these and only have 6. We are taking them out because I have had no luck finding these. We are going with some large 18"x18" tiles that cover a lot of space that we had left over from our master bathroom redo a couple months ago. Didn't want to have to deal with that, but cannot find a match.

Old 02-04-11, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
This is an older thread, so most of the posters are gone, but welcome to the forums! Finding tile even a year after initial production that will match what you have will be almost impossible. The manufacturing process isn't like wine, where it turns out the same every time. Slight variations in color, firing, etc can cause mismatched tiles. Finding tile many years after won't be easy unless you take a sample with you and match it in good lighting.
I had a customer who purchased the same brand, style of tile to extend into her hallway, several years after the original. Night and day, literally. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-04-11, 07:16 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Been there, this is likely going to end without you finding the tiles

Old 02-04-11, 05:52 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Trying to locate discontinued tiles is like searching for a needle in a haystack.
I disagree with that. With the haystack, at least you know the needle is in there.

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: