Ceramic Tile

Old 02-11-03, 08:30 PM
randj999
Visiting Guest
Question Ceramic Tile

My question involves replacing an existing vinyl floor in a kitchen
with ceramic tile. The floor is wood. Question, with the thickness
of the concrete board and the thickness of the tile how would it
be possible to remove the built in dishwasher if there were a problem? Also, where the tile meets the carpet at the entrance to the kitchen, it seems that there would be a considerable rise at that point.

Old 02-12-03, 08:54 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concerning your dishwasher, first usually you would tile under the dishwasher too. Dishwashers have height adjustment screws under them, so you should be able to adjust it for the height opening. You need to check this though. One way is to pull the bottom front panel off the dishwasher and look at the adjustment screws to see if there is enough length left for the screw to go up for the added thickness of the cementboard and tile. As far as the transition step between the carpet and the tile, this depends on the carpet height now. But if you use 1/4" cementboard plus 5/16" thick tile for example and say the carpet height was about 1/2" long , this probably wouldn't look like that big of a step. But you can get transition strips to go between the tile and carpet, tese could have a short slope on it to go from one height to another. Take a look at these and see if you would like the looks. Usually you can get them in wood, aluminum and brass.

Old 02-12-03, 07:27 PM
randj999
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. When I looked at the dishwasher awhile back it didn't seem as if there were enough adjustment. One solution I thought of was to remove the cabinets and tile the entire floor but decided against that. I will probably go with wood laminate, since it seem to be the easier route. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: