Walk in Shower install

Old 02-14-03, 08:27 AM
BMeier
Visiting Guest
Walk in Shower install

I posted this question in the bath forum and Bud Cline said he could walk me through this forum. I am installing a walk in shower and need to figure out what I need to do to prep the shower ie - ppreslope, liner ect.. rught now I just have it framed in, all the plimbing and rough in drain done and sheet rocked on the outside. The shower is 3 x 5 feet.

On question I have is should I use Durorock of wonderboard?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Old 02-14-03, 02:11 PM
LewMac
Visiting Guest
Talking A Lurker turned Mentor... (thanks to Bud)

BMeier,

Do I have some advice for you! I was in your shoes (not literally, of course) about a 6-8 months ago getting ready to do my first tile job on a walk-in shower and small guest bathroom. We completely gutted the old room, and I started from scratch.

First, I did a lot of research like you are doing now--visiting lots of tile forums on the internet and getting as much info as I could about setting tile and especially doing a shower the right way. One of the first articles I came across about installing shower pans was by Michael Byrne when he was the moderator of the Ceramic Tile Forum at the Journal of Light Construction site.

http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlc...7/Catalog/1136

Unfortunately, he is no longer the moderator there, and the article now costs $5.00 to access. However, his book "Setting Tile" is a very comprehensive guide to most everything you want to do and has the info on shower pans. I bought a copy at Home Depot.

I also visited the Tile Council of America website and ordered their installation guide and standards CD-ROM for $10. It contains great diagrams and ANSI standards for how different tile installations should be done. This was helpful for me because I have plans for additional installations both inside and outside on various substrates.

http://tileusa.com/publication_main.htm

Here are a few websites to visit to see good examples of shower pan and curb installations:

http://johnbridge.com/mortar_bed_shower_floor.htm

http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

http://www.johnbridge.com/shower_curbs.htm

I also added a "Better Bench" to my shower:

http://www.aquafit-usa.com/betterbench.htm

and some shampoo/soap niches from Bonsal:

http://www.bonsal.com/tilepage.html?sid=1713

Finally, ask a lot of questions here and the other fine folks and I will cheerfully try to give you some good advice. Most have much more experience than I do, but now that I have done it, I feel I can jump in there too.

I recently posted photos of my project on another thread, but here it is again:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/l/wlmc/OurOldHouse.htm

We have since finished the wallpaper and crown molding, the plumber came Tuesday and installed the sink, toilet and shower control connection, and I installed the door. It all seems to work great so far! Good luck with your project!

LewMac

Old 02-17-03, 01:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So....BMeier,

Is this thing on or off?

Sorry I didn't get here sooner...had a marathon weekend tile job to do.

Old 02-18-03, 02:01 PM
BMeier
Visiting Guest
Bud my project is till on can you help?

Old 02-18-03, 02:09 PM
Sure...where you wanna start?

Old 02-18-03, 02:19 PM
BMeier
Visiting Guest
right now I have the sheetrock on the outside of the shower and have the durorock ready to put up. I am wondering what type of membrane I should put in, how far up the walls I need to go and so forth. I also need to build up the curnb first, the plumbing is roughed in and ready to go with a round adjustable drain.

what do you recommend?

Old 02-18-03, 02:29 PM
The drain needs to be the "clamping style". This is the one that seperates with two large flanges, the bottom stays with the 2" drain pipe and the top has the screw-in strainer cup.

You also need a vinyl shower pan liner that can be purchased at a plumbing supply. The liner will cover the pre-slope that you will install and will climb the walls not less than three inches above the top of the curb.

Once the drain assembly is in place cut a piece of roofing felt or plastic to cover the floorinside the shower.

Then a cement pre-slope is mixed and installed. The preslope can be made of bagged sand mix from the home center or you can mix portland cement and sand at a 5:1 ratio. The bagged sand mix will be about 3:1 and it will work fine.

The preslope will be about 1-1/2"thick at the outside and sloping to about 1/4" against the lower flange of the drain.

The studs should be notched slightly (about 1/4" deep X 6" up) at the bottom to receive the thickness of the shower pan vinyl and you should also put (2" X 6") blocking between the studs at the bottom. This will serve as a backer for the liner. This blocking will be installed at the back of the notch so that you maintain the 1/4" clearence all-around the base of the shower enclosure.

That will get you started.

Old 02-19-03, 12:44 PM
BMeier
Visiting Guest
Bud,

should the vinyl liner go down before the preslope is poured? I picked up a book at home depot (TILE 1,2,3) and it shows the liner going down first then the preslope being poured on top of it. One querstion I have is on the sill do you screw the durorock down on the top peice, through the liner? Your help is appreciated!!

Old 02-19-03, 01:58 PM
Keep your 1-2-3 book nice and clean so you can get your money back later will ya!

The pre-slope is so that the vinyl pan liner will properly drain. Water will (in time) get through your tile, it just does. It will find its way to the vinyl liner. With the liner sloped the water will then find its way to the "weep holes" that are in the middle of the floor drain. Daily use of the shower creates a daily exchange of this water.

So....the VINYL PAN LINER GOES ON TOP OF THE PRE-SLOPE.

This is why it is a [PRE] slope. You will be doing TWO SLOPES. The first (pre-slope) is to drain the pan liner, the second (final-slope) is to drain the shower floor tile.

If Home Depots 1-2-3 Book says that then it is wrong. I guess I'm going to have to buy one of those damned books before too long just to weed out the mistakes.

If the vinyl pan liner is installed flat on the subfloor without a pre-slope then the water that gets through to the pan liner will lay there and rot. This is where the stink and sewer smell in showers comes from all the time. Rotten stinky slimy scummy dirty water sitting below the shower floor, growing things. Trust me!!!!!!

Old 02-19-03, 08:47 PM
IHI
I just had to pipe in with a "I hate drywallers" rag. We were doing a tub take out and installing a walk in shower for a "bigger person" that could no longer step into the tub. Anyway, had the liner in place, looking beautiful, had the drywall contractor come over (same one I've been using for a few years) and told them MANY times before I left-DO NOT TOUCH THAT LINER!!! Next day we came back in to pour the slope and what do I see, utility blade cuts all over the liner and too many staples to count driven into it with little bits of plastic still stuck to some. They let a "new kid" lay down the rosin paper and bisquen and did'nt supervise him, so he thought the shower floor was a great place to cut everything and of course he did'nt want mud getting on the shower floor! So I had some flavorful words with the drywall contractor, I was reimbursed for the time/mat. to redo the damn thing and he fired the guy I as was standing there red faced and mad. Yes I was upset cause I don't do the hospital folds everyday and had to do it all over, but I told him that it was his responsibility to over see his crew and make sure things like that don't happen, the guy screwed up-yes, but anytime your new to a job you rely on others to help you and I think the owner/boss was trying to impress me by firing him on the spot, even though in my opinion it was basically his fault in the big picture. Needless to say I've been using a different crew, very immature of him I thought, but maybe there was more history with the new guy I did'nt know about either.?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: