Tile Floor Underlayment

Old 02-15-03, 06:03 PM
JeffNA
Visiting Guest
Tile Floor Underlayment

I want to replace an existing tile floor with a new tile floor. There is 1/2" plywood on top of 3/4" plywood on 2x10's 16"oc. I don't know what type of 1/2" plywood. A local tile store says I need to put down 1/4" mortar board(?) because wood swells and shrinks. However, in other directions I have read, it seems there is enough underlayment. I want to do the job properly but I would prefer not to have that extra 1/4". The old tile is still firmly down except for 1 tile that popped up in an area that I repaired about a year ago. Also - any hints or comments about taking up the old tile?
Thank you very much for the help!

Old 02-16-03, 06:59 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Listen to your Local tile store!!!Plywood installs are risky buisiness at best.They require exactingInstallation of subflooring material and it is way too technical to get into considering this is a remodel and not new construction.Your local shop is steering you in the right direction!!

Old 02-16-03, 10:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The cement board is also a "tooth" for the adhesive to cling to. There are installers that install tile directly onto plywood and swear by it but it isn't the thing to do in my opinion. IMHO plywood is not as trustworty as it was many years ago and I would be afraid to do it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: